12/2012
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hi all,

I'm know that constipation has been discussed forever on this forum, and I was just looking thru some of those posts. What I need to know is if I can give the metamucil or stool softeners thru my mom's peg tube. Or can I give her some prune juice thru the tube? I will prob. also check with the doc but we are going on day 5 tomorrow. She is not uncomfortable yet but we will get there. She was going regularly like a champ until we had to decrease the amt. of water thru her tube because her sodium level was going down. Well we got the sodium levels back up where they should be and now she can't poop! Just when I feel like I'm ahead of things something else happens. :cry:

Pushing 5 days without a bowel movement is not so good! Time to intervene with a glycerin suppository or a Fleet enema. Perhaps you can discuss with the doctor some electrolyte replacement for your mom since her bowels were moving well before you decreased the water. Hydration is critical for good health. So maybe he could recommend some electrolyte packet that would replace the sodium that was so dilute from too much water. I have no peg experience other than children under my care for a couple of days. I suspect the metamucil would clog up the peg. Prune juice would be fine--just flush it out after giving it, but I always found prune juice often produced lots of gas and not necessarily motility. Others hopefully will jump in about the most effective bowel routine for constipation for those with pegs. Magnesium citrate is very good for constipation, but you need to ask the doctor and/or pharmacist if it can be given through the peg. It comes in capsules that can be emptied but I don't know if it would clog the peg. Best of luck to you and your mom.

Laurel

Husband has had Peg since 4/2011. Don't use Metamucil through it. What happens when u add water to it? It begins to very quickly form a thick gel...don't do it. I imagine you would have a clogged tube pretty quickly. Miralax is the only thing of the sort I would put in the Peg. It takes only a minute or two to fully dissolve in water and will move easily, like water, through the tube. It's been recommended to us to use the prune juice as well, try warming it in the microwave too.

I have been giving my wife Metamucil through her feeding tube with no clogging issues for almost two years now. It helps to control diarrhea as well as constipation. Just be sure to mix it with at least 8 ounces of water.

I don't know much about PEG-tubes as I don't have one just yet but, I have experience using Metamucil and, I do know it produces a very viscous solution in water.
I suppose the PEG-tube is a narrow tube from pictures I've seen online, therefore, you have to excise much caution when trying this solution through the PEG-tube to avoid clogging it up as it must be hard to clean it up afterwards.

NH

If the Metamucil is mixed with water and put through the tube right away, it could be ok. You could always mix some up and see how long it takes before it thickens. As said, make sure to add at least 8oz of water per serving, and please please please make sure to flush the tube a couple times with water afterwards.
Prune juice or any sort of juice is fine to put through it. Even food can be put through it if liquid is added to it and is blended up well enough.

Update. Since my original post, I talked to the home care nurse. I have since been giving prune juice thru the feeding tube every 2 or 3 days. Has been working really well. Thanks to all for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back