Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
California
City
Fontana
i was eating pureed food and losing weight. it was time for a peg.

it was put in on a thurs in feb. the next day i went home. that evening i had extremely painful muscle spasms in my back. on sat went to the er and was admitted to the hospital. muscle relaxers, pain pills, and iv fluids got rid of the spasms.

while there, they were bolis feeding me one can, eight oz, every four hours. after the fourth can, i threw up, aspirated into my lungs, and ended up getting pneumonia. they put me on iv antibiotics.

the gastro docs tried different feeding combinations but, for whatever reason, my stomach would not process the food. they finally recommended replacing the peg with a gj tube. (one tube with two smaller diameter tubes inside. the g goes into the stomach and the j goes through the stomach into the small intestine.) i had it done and have had no problems since then. i now take my meds through the g and my food through the j.

the pneumonia cleared up and they gave me two weeks of pt/rehab to get my legs working again. finally, after eleven weeks i went home.

one last thought. the majority of the medical/hospital staff were good. some were excellent. and a few were at the other end of the scale. overall, i received good care and for that i am thankful.
ed

wow Ed! I hope you are still feeling better and continuing to heal. Thank you for the great information.

A few months ago a friend and member of my local ALS support group was given his PEG. Not sure exactly what happened with him but you shed some light on what might have happened. He died 3 days after receiving his PEG. Makes it very scary for us all.

Ed,

Glad you are home and that the pneumonia has cleared!

Ed glad you're home. So glad I got my peg last Sept.

Ed,

What an experience! So glad you are home now! Thank you for sharing your story!

Jen

I know that was scary. Glad you hear the hospital personnel were good(most of them) Glad you are home and feeling better.

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us! So glad you're home safe and that the J/G tube is working well for you.

Glad you are home now and doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back