Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Philadelphia
I am having my peg tube inserted next Tuesday and frankly I am very nervous. I have read some articles here that people had sore throats for days from the scope down the throat & others who say it was a breeze. I was told I would stay overnight, but they have changed that to 2 to 3 days, because they have to use water first and then formula to determine how much you can handle, etc. I would like to hear from people who have had this done and just how bad or not it was. God Bless Us All:?

I had mine done last June along with a pacer. No sore throat. One night stay in hospital. Sore for about one week but not very bad. I just finished my breakfast( jevity 1.5). I still don't use my tube all the time, but's its nice to know it's there when I need it. Good luck, but I'm sure you will do fine.
Steve

My wife just got one. She has very sensitive abdominal area, so she is sore and a bit weaker for the week or two. Her throat is a but raw from the inflation tube, but that heals in a few days to a week.

I think you will probably spend one night in the hospital, but it really depends on your pain threshold.

R,

A. Cheng

An anesthetic spray like Chlor o septic can help alleviate sore throat pain from the endotracheal tube

MY husband had his in January of this year with an overnight stay. No real problems.
Hope things go just as well for you. He is now using the tube for all nourishment and medicines.

Thanks so much for the information, I do appreciate. I will let you all know how I make out when I get home. God Bless

How do they control the saliva while the procedure is being done. I am very concerned about that.

They can let you hold a suction tube if necessary--or suction you themselves.

Well had the procedure Tuesday, was suppose to be a11am did not take me till 2;30 pm, I was a wreck. When done, the pain was pretty bad, but the surgeon never order pain meds for me, finally at 5pm they gave me demarol which made the whole room spin. So then tey contacted the dr again and at midnight I got percoset, but that time the pain was horrible. Came home yesterday, feels much better now, just taking some tylenol, but they still have not delivered my food. Was suppose to be here yesterday, never showed up. My Dr. is furious and working on this for me. Likely I can eat soft foods, so I had some scrabled eggs last night & oatmeal this morning. I do have a question on the paper it says takes med 1 at a time, but in the hospital they did a bunch at one time. I take some in the morning & some at night. How do you guys do it? I was not happy with the hospital, could have been a little cleaner. I had the same sheets & gown for almost 3 days. My daughter had to go ask for a clean gown. No towels to wash up. I was not impressed with the care, they were very slow, but when they finally came the nurses where very nice. Let me know about the medicine thing. This thing is ugly and I am having a hard time dealing with all of this. I am not a positive person and I don't know how to become one. Very depressed with all of this, knowing I will never be the same again upsets me

Chris I'm so sorry you had a rough time in the hospital. It's horrible that you were allowed to suffer initially. You really have to be your own advocate these days or have someone with you who can advocate for you for the most basic of needs while in hospital.

You'll be better able to deal with the PEG once you're rested and have everything you need in place and get into a routine that works for you. It may be possible to change out the tube for a less obtrusive one in a few months once you've healed.

Changes are so difficult to accept with ALS and it often seems like we no sooner get used to "the new normal" when we find ourselves having to adapt to yet another one. Grieve a bit for the loss you're feeling and then move on. It really will get a bit easier with time. If you're still dealing with a depressed mood your doc can prescribe some meds that will help.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.

What do you mean what that is less obtrusive, would that be the button one? I think I read something about it. Do you know anything about the medicine I asked? Can you put them crused into the tube all at one time? They did in the hospital, but my paper said 1 at a time. Oh by the way I still do not have my formula. They never delivered it again today. The neurologist is livid & I think she had the whole staff calling this medical supply place. This is a joke, isin't. Think I have been thru enough like all of us, you would think they would do there jobs.

Check out some other threads about PEGs, look for mic-key. There are several other threads listed at the bottom of the page that you can click on.
Other members have discussed how they do their meds as well. A call to your pharmacist might be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back