Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Anytown
My husband had PEG tube placed on Monday with overnight hospital stay. So far is doing well. Does anyone have suggestion for pill crusher? I have arthritis in my hands and wrist and cannot use the ones that make you pound down on them or that you have to screw.
I did see one on line for about $70 that has a long handle I think I might could use. He takes at least 9 or 10 pills daily. We have our first appt. at the ALS Clinic in Charlotte next Mon and Tues. I will also ask there.
Tomorrow to the ortho to see what's going on with his knees. Has fought infections in both knees for past 2 years prior to PBP diagnosis. Several surgeries with hardware taken out and
IV antibiotices, etc.. too long to list.
All your thoughts and prayers are appreciated!

Could you try one of the small electric spice or coffee grinders? I would think that a coffee grinder, in particular, could handle any pill you could throw at it.

I suggest a coffe bean grinder. You just press the lid down and it grinds. Hope that helps... Becky

Coffee bean grinder is cheap too, like 10 bucks. Or the side of a hammer and a strong seal a meal baggie, freezer ones are stronger, to get you through until you have time to get a grinder. I am so glad the surgery went good, it will make things so much easier:)

If you ask the pharmacist to make sure the meds won't lose potency, and you get the go ahead, the easiest way is to crush a little (I actually have a short handled ball peen hammer that stays in the 'junk drawer') anyway, give them a couple of smacks while on a piece of waxed paper, or saran wrap, and then put that into water, and let it set for an hour or so. You can actually do it the night before, put it in the fridge, and its good to go, just stir up. Probably the pills will dissolve without the hammer routine first, it just seems like it speeds up the process for me.

I replied, but the response got lost, or went to mod-land...

The easiest way is to crush just a little (I actually have a short handled ball peen hammer that stays in the 'junk drawer') anyway, give them a couple of smacks while sandwiched between two piece of waxed paper, or saran wrap, and then put the crushed up tablets into water, and let this set for an hour or so. You can actually do it the night before, put it in the fridge, and its good to go, just stir up. Probably the pills will dissolve without the hammer routine first, it just seems like it speeds up the process for me.

Before doing this, you should ask the pharmacist to make sure the meds won't lose potency, and that they can be crushed. (time released can't)

Also, some meds can be formulated as a liquid, but then there is more of it that needs consumed, I think because the only method regular pharmacies have is to make it into a palatable oral suspension., so, what would be only one pill, equals 10cc's or more of liquid.

I have a 2 ounce measuring cup by xo good grips. Its the type where you can look down in it to see measurements, which is a nice feature, not having to hold it at eye level. The syringes we use with the PEG for feeding hold exactly 2 ounces/60 cc, so if you put the crushed pills into that size measure cup, add water, let it set, its ready to go. Then flush with atleast half that much water again.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone. I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now. Spent most of day in ortho's office, came home with new brace for right knee. Left knee is draining and dressing has to be changed at least twice day. Taking care of the peg tube and getting adjusted to the feedings and feeling inept at it is frustrating. Tonight we shot some of the feeding liquid clear across the room. I am sure that happens.
I will be fine once I get some sort of schedule going. Thanks for letting me complain.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Rose, the Good Grips 2 ounce measuring cup is the best, and I am using a small hammer which works fine. So glad I didn't buy the one on line which requires you to order their plastic bags. Went to ALS clinic this past week and the dietician had one and said he had never used it. Tried to demonstrate it (he was a young man) and even with his strength and he had difficulty with it, so my hammer is just fine. Even with my age and arthritis I can still use a hammer.

One question re PEG tube. Dr. looked at it on Mon. Was a little red on the upper side and he prescribed an antibiotic ointment. Still a little red but doesn't look infected. Does anyone else have a problem with redness around site. Looks like irritation.

Glad I was able to help (love my hammer :) It was actually my Granddaddy's) And yes, that measuring cup, who knew something could be just so nice to use?

The redness could be just irritation, or it could be granulation tissue. If you do a search (go "advanced" with my user name, and "PEG" I posted previously about the problems I had, and how I overcame them.

Good luck !

I wouldn't worry too much about the redness unless it looks inflamed or gets warm which would suggest infection. Keep the area clean. We used Polysporin if it looked too red and also a barrier cream to protect his skin

It's funny that your husband has trouble with knee infections. Bob had a terrible knee infection (staph) about a year before he was diagnosed. We had to cancel a trip to Asia because of it. I'm sure they're relatively common but hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back