Are you bedridden if you have a PEG feeding tube fitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostin

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
that's what i am being told!

No, my wife used it also in her chair, no problem.
As a matter of fact, you must not be completely lying down to avoid gastric reflux. If you are in your bed, you must raise you shoulders as to be in an almost sitting position (at least 45° if I remember correctly).

Who told you that and why ?

Oh dear. You'll have to prove them wrong! Do you know anyone who's had the peg done in your neck of the woods?

No, that's not correct information. You can be completely mobile with a Peg tube.

Not true. I've had one since January. Hasn't slowed me down a bit. Easy to care for also.

No! My husband has had one for over a year and walks or wheels everywhere! Goodness, there would be millions of people at any one time bed bound if that were true, due to so many diseases taking away the ability to eat (some temporarily).

Absolutely not! My partner was back at work one week after having his PEG inserted.

Some people, in more advanced stages of MND may already be close to being 'bedridden', but PEG certainly will not lead to that.

Dani

I've had mine since March & I still walk, play with the kids, shower, etc. I just can't figure out how to shove a cheeseburger down the tube :). Whoever told you that is uneducated.

Big Southern Hugs xoxo

I have a PEG and last week I was in a race car going 140 MPH on the California Speedway! I went swimming on Saturday. Yesterday I rode Splash Mountain at Disneyland.

I guess the short answer is NO. :)

-Tom

Last edited:
I have had a peg tube since Feb of 2009 and have been hunting, hiking, horseback riding, ATV riding and flying in helicopters.

Not doing any of those things anymore but its because my legs don't work not because of my feeding tube.

that's what i am being told!

Is there ANY chance of your finding a NEW doctor?

I wouln't quibble at the 3 days inpatient for pain care if nothing else--but no--of course you're not going to be bedridden.

Heck, you can even EAT with it if you're not so severely disabled that you can't safely swallow.

Good luck to you!

Dang but yall are having more fun than me..lol yall certainly are doing more! Bruce is seeing a Dr about a peg tube the 15th.

Maybe we need more info from you, lostin! Do the healthcare workers mean bedbound for certain days to recover from the procedure or forever thereafter? Or, as a prerequisite to getting the PEG?

I started thinking about your question and thought we may have misunderstood. My husband was "bedbound" in the hospital overnight. He was ready to get hell out of there the very next morning.

I agree with Brooksea...clarification is needed as I too have seen numerous patients with PEGS who are mobile.

Is it possible our original poster is using a translator and we're missing something? (I can barely handle English, I'm not bilingual)

Or is Thailand that far back in medical procedures? Much as I grumble about insurance woes and waiting and all that--I'm glad I live where good health care is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back