3 days in hospital for a feeding tube fitting...not right surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostin

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
Sure I've been reading on here people getting PEG feeding tubes...the one that looks like a 3 inch w1lly sticking out of your stomach. ..got them done as an outpatient and were going home within 3 or 4 hours.

I'm having one next week and the surgeon says i have to stay in for 3 DAYS!

They kept me overnight because the next day they wanted to train my family on the proper way to use it and keep it clean.You will be sore for a few days,trying to turn and get up will hurt,after a week I had no pain.GOOD LUCK-------------Ken

Thailand may not have caught up with "modern" medicine's revolving door method of care. Pretty soon, state of the art will probably be drive through open heart surgery.

Related: a friend of mine was telling me how she had to pay a caregiver to watch over her in a hospital in India. She said there were never enough nurses and other hospital employees so people routinely pay a caregiver from outside the hospital. My friend was appalled. However, I was thinking that American hospitals are not much different.

Good luck! I think you are lucky to be in hospital for a few days as if there is any complications or troubles with pain and cramping, you will get the care you need. when i get mine, i am going to ask if i can stay a few days, til the acute pain is over.

They sent me home the same day, with some instruction but it could have been more. Order the G Tube holders online, they are much better than the tape they sent me home with. Yes it will be sore for about a week. I spent two hours after the surgery gagging on the spray, (bulbar onset) they suctioned me like crazy. They should have kept me overnight. I had aspiration pneumonia soon afterwards. That's all gone now.

When we lived in Germany, rule of thumb for childbirth was 1 day in the hospital for every day the baby came early. Two weeks early, two weeks in the hospital! I'm not sure what type of system Thailand has.

FYI: The tube sticking out is more like 6 to 12 inches . . .

Three days is not unusual. That's how long we stayed when my husband got his tube put in.

If you think 3 days is bad - my partner Laurence had to stay for 8 days. 6 out of 8 were just in order to secure a bed (basically, nothing was going on during those six days, some tests done in 2 hours). He was out two days after his surgery. They wanted to make sure that he was not in pain or discomfort, that I know how to look after the tube, as well as checking his blood gasses were in the normal range.

Dani

My mother was also scheduled to stay a day or two after peg but it ended up being almost a week. Initial peg couldn't be placed so they had to send her back to the ward & wait til radiology had a slot so she could get a rig. After that they were giving us adaptation time and also observing her, visits from ot, speech therapy etc

I'm not telling Mick that or he will be changing his mind. He's already complaining about the ventilator + humidifier as he keeps getting woken up due to water in the nasal pillows any ideas ? Ang xx

They kept my husband for 5 days, making sure he didn't get "refeeding syndrome" secondary to lack of eating and significent weight loss. So, who knows, guess its all up the the docs.
Amber

Hi Mick n Ang,

We use the Resmed VPAPIII ST -A BiPAP machine and swap between the mirage quattro and mirage liberty (with nasal pillows) masks. We were initially issued with a humidifier for our first BiPaP (the one without the power failure alarm!) and used it for sometime. However, for at least 12 months that I can recall we have not used the humidifier at all. Shane has been 24/7 BiPaP for 15/16 months now. Perhaps try without the humidifier?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

He started off without the humidfier but ended up with severe dry mouth and mouth ulcers so thats why he needs the humidifier, but thanks xx Ang

Hi Ang,

No worries, sorry I could not be of help. The reason we stopped with the humidifier was that he found it "hot". Even turned down as low as possible he only could have it on short term. But then his temperature gauge has been all over the place for a long time. In terms of dry mouth is he still able to drink? We have gotten very good at slipping a piece of pvc tube up the side of the mask into his mouth and then the other end into a drink. That way he doesn't need to take the mask off. Also those little box drinks with the little straws work well too.

Thanks

Chris

We use HME's or an artificial nose as they call it with our ventilator and no humidifier. It helps a great deal with the noise and is much easier. We do change the HME every day to keep it from clogging and it seems to provide plenty of moisture, so it might be something you want to check into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back