05/2009
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
Hello

My dad has ALS, and he has it since 2009 (diagnosed) and really had to get the tracheostomy almost from the same time. The issue now is that the whole in his neck, specifically the skin has gotten bigger and the the tracheostomy leaving space for the tracheostomy to move and let air out. The two options was:

1. surgery: but my dad is such in a terminal stage, that he wouldnt survive even arriving to the hospital
2. Find a gadget the hold the tube down, more towards the chest that the face. The tracheostomy collars dont work well to hold it pointinf down than up.

Has anyone have had that issue? do you any ideas? Now we are using like little rope to hold it dont around by raping the cords around his shoulders, but we barely can move him because if not the air escapes and the lung collapses.

This is the first time I participate in a blog.... so i really dont know how this works really

I wish I knew what to tell you. Thank you foir being there for your Dad. Do you a home health nurse that you can ask for advice?

You might could fashion a catheter tube holder to hold the trach tube. The ones I use for my sister's urinary cath have velcro on them. You could probably use them and get an additional piece of velcro (from a craft store) and add it to the velcro to wrap around the trach tube. Amazon sells the tube holders. I got a whole box of them. They are a bit pricey, but have been the best things that I have found to hold her catheter. The link is here: 404 - Document Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back