Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I took my husband to Emory this morning, after confirming via email and phone (literally 4 times) his appointment time and PLACE! No problem, right? We get there and we are told we are supposed to be at the downtown location. Blood just about squirted from my ears! I gave the lady the name of the person I last spoke to, so she checked. Surprise! Surprise! NOT! The doctor that was to do the procedure was not there! Hurry Scurry! They've gotta find a doc! A nurse finally comes out and I wheel him into the exam room. A petite little doc comes in and is about to replace the tube with another long tube! She knows nothing about what he's there for! Man am I stressing! Already had a bad feeling about this! We get that straightened out and then she can't get his tube out! OMG! I was about to puke! I had to leave the room. He was yelling about how bad it hurt. SHE leaves the room and comes back saying the tube is a different kind than she is used to dealing with and it's harder to remove! I swear I almost fainted! Well, he finally gets the Mic-key put in and we are both so stressed out we can't think straight!

Just one little problem...how the hell am I supposed to get the damn formula into him? I'm driving home and tell him "Hey, wait a minute! They didn't give us anything but a booklet! No tube to connect to the Mic-key for feeding! $#!% fire" So naturally, I called the clinic and they are out of the office til Monday! So I called the General Surgery department where he had the procedure done and had to leave a VM.

Some days I just need to wear a shirt that says STUPID, with an arrow pointing to my face!:-x

HUGS is all I can offer!

So sorry for your stress. Sounds aweful. How's your husband doing?

Can't really offer any useful suggestions 'cause I don't know how things work in the US. Would your local ER have a tube?Sending hugs across the ocean.

After I was passed around from department to department, I ended up speaking with the person I originally spoke to. I persuaded her to help me after I described the location we went to, I had to convince her I knew what I was talking about! LOL I'm not THAT big of a dumba$$! No one knew who the doctor was that did the procedure! Maybe it was someone "playing" a doctor!

I can only assume they threw away the extension kit, as they had to order a new one from the downtown location and will mail it to me.

Glad you got help. Days like that I often find myself thinking 'it shouldn't be this hard to get help'!

Oh, CJ, what an ordeal. I hope DaddyO is feeling a lot more comfortable now, and think you might need to go to the Pub and relax. I hope you did end up getting some way to feed his Mik-key until the kit arrives. Oh--also hope the fake doctor learned something through this.
Love you!
Ann

Days like that can just about send you over the edge.I am sure you both are exhausted from the whole ordeal. Try to just get some R&R in and i hope they get that thing to you asap.

OMG! We just got back from the ER! The damn tube FELL OUT this evening! The hospital I took him to didn't have a Mic-key, so in went the long tube again! I felt so sorry for my husband. He was writhing in pain!

I will never trust Emory to do any procedure on my husband or any member of my family again!

The doctor at the ER referred us to a couple of gastro practices and highly recommended one in particular. He'll give the Mic-key one more shot and if it doesn't work, he says he's done tubin'!

This is terrible, CJ. I'm so sorry your Mic-key has been a nightmare. Hoping the next shot is a breeze. Meanwhile, you're getting way too much material for your book!

OH CJ Honey .... what a nightmare! And by the way.. you are NOT the one that needs the stupid t-shirt! Hope you get a calmer couple of days!

Honey.. we never needed to change, but this was such a terrible time for you guys! I'm heart broken to hear about all the pain and stress you both had to endure! I will be praying for you both, for peace and comfort.

YOU are NOT the one who is stupid and needs to figure your job. They are theones that need to remember theirs. It sounds a lot like the hospital close to our home... I drive an extra 15 min. to go to the next one. It sounds like you handled yoursefl well.

I hope Daddy-O is feeling more comfort now!

GodBless

cris

I am shocked you are having so much needless trouble. It should not have been like this at all. I sincerely hope your problems are over and it will be clear sailing from now on!

My husband is so pitiful today! He's in pain and just miserable. I got his prescription for Oxycodone filled and that is helping a little.

I spoke to my dad, who used to be a surgical tech in the Air Force. He was appalled that at the first sign of trouble, nothing was given for pain. He says I should watch out for peritonitis, since my husband ate/drank something on the way home from Emory, as the lady that "played the doc," may not have inserted the tube through the stomach wall to begin with. This would cause seepage into his abdominal cavity. The doctor at the ER also had mentioned that the insertion into his stomach was very tight (so the stomach was healing the hole), leading me to believe what my dad said, may in fact be true! She mentioned that the tube may not have been "seated" properly! Isn't that a surprise?:mad:

I know doctors are not "gods," but this track record makes me tend to believe Emory has some sort of program for the spawns of Satan! :evil:

Well, it's football weather. Going to try to find a game on TV that's not blacked out for hubby to watch!

Thanks for letting me bend your ears!

CJ- what you and your hubby are going thru really stinks. I would be absolutely furious with those "doctors" too! I find it disgusting when we go to professionals and we seem to know more than they do- but they still get to charge us. Should be the other way around.
The last time we took Ray in to have his PEG changed, the doctor told us that if it ever comes out, make sure to get something(preferably another PEG) into the hole ASAP because it will start to close up within an hour. And Ray has had his PEG for over 5 years now. Not trying to say that the doc that placed the Mic-key wasnt incompetent, but maybe his tube was just out for too long?
At any rate, I agree with your statement of not going back there. They dont seem to know what is going on or care that your hubby is in so much pain. Hope the meds and the football help.
Take Care.

thx! I called the neighbor across the street and he came and visited, tormented him! LOL He's a retired professor and my husband is a brainiac with balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back