lisaohgee

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evergreen Park
She is going in Tuesday, having consultations with various doctors, then the tube will be inserted Wednesday.

Due to her diminished breathing, it was explained to us that she will be in twilight during the procedure, not completely knocked out. There's a chance she'll need breathing assistance during the procedure, and then there is a chance if she gets vented during the procedure, her body will like having the vent and she might have to keep it in.

She decided to keep it in if it comes down to it, which I am not sure if I am happy with or not. I guess my question is has anyone else gone through a similar thing? What was the outcome?

I hope your mother does well with the procedure. Hopefully, she will not have any breathing difficulties during the procedure and venting will not be an issue. My husband decided not to have the PEG as he can still eat, drink, talk, etc. However, he says that he does not want to be vented at this time either, but depending on the circumstances, he may want to later.

I guess he would be in a similar situation as your mother if he would have the surgery right now, because his breathing is declining rapidly before everything else. For me personally, I just go with the flow for him. If he said it was okay to be vented during surgery and then keep afterward, then we'd travel that path with him.

Good luck, and please let us know how she is doing after the procedure.

Take care.

I had my PEG put in when my breathing was questionable. It went well.
You can read all about it here; PEG on Low FVC

She will do fine. I wouldn't get overly worried. If they do need to do a trachea. Then I think she will have the option of whether to use it or not (I think), somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Yall hang in there! Stay positive!
God bless.

Hi,
my dad was diagnosed in March 2010 with ALS after a long struggle.
After a bad bladder infection and fever he had to get his PEG tube in on the 22nd of July.
My dad was so dosed during his week in hospital, i don't think he really knew what the Drs did, only when he went home and felt better he knew that he had a feeding tube. It was really hard for my mother and she did not want that to happen, she wanted to make my dad soups and jelly, but after a week at home my dad could no longer swallow jelly. So the peg tube was just in time. My mother is now glad we got it, if it was not for the peg tube, he wouldn't be able to eat anything or get food in his body. Its not easy to accept it and it was very hard for my mother at first. For my dad, He feels 100% dependent on us for everything.... I can't even imagine how this must feel for him.

I hope that all goes well and that your mom has a smooth recovery.

I hope everything went smoothly yesterday for your Mom. Please update us, we are all thinking about you and your Mom. You are in our prayers!

I pray that all went well for your mom yesterday and that she is resting comfortably.

Thanks for all your well wishes -- she is actually going in this coming Tuesday, with the procedure scheduled for Wednesday.

I will keep everyone posted.

Hi Lisa, welcome to our forum hun. Please come back here as much as you can, if you have any questions, or just need to vent off some steam. Coincidentally, my dad is getting his PEG next Thursday as well. His big worry is that he wont be able to breathe without his bi-pap while laying down. He is also getting the "twightlight" sedation. They have not mentioned him getting vented at all, they just said they would do their best to keep him comfortable. It is my understanding that the procedure will only take 10 minutes or so. I know, the whole thing is scary and stressful huh! Keep us posted on how he does, and I will let cha know how my dad does! Prayers to both of them!
Hugs, Kari

I was in a sitting position, not laying down then I got my PEG. It took about 5 minutes and was easy. My FVC was about 30% at that time.

Oh that is soooooooo great to know Joel! I cant imagine how they would actually do it sitting up, but its something I will ask them about. And you had sedation too, not just a local?
Hugs!

Even with my low FVC the doctor felt it was safe as it only takes about 5 minutes. He mildly sedated me and left me in a sitting position. I was conscious the whole time. He sprayed a freezing compound in my throat and inserted the light/camera, found the right location and 2 minutes later it was all over - EASY.

Even the day after there was minimal discomfort - hardly knew it was done.....and I had only taken Ibuprofen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back