CALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Spokane Valley
Hello every one,

I am a caregiver for my aunt who was diagnosed with ALS about 2 years ago, she has recently had a feeding tube put in, she is still able to eat and swallow fairly well but it was put in early to ease in the surgery. My question is, ever since she had it put in shes had terrible cramping, she calls them "contractions" and you can visibly see her stomach tighten and roll. Has anyone else had any experience? They went back in and did some poking around to see if there was some kind of blockage or obstruction. Can anyone offer us some advice on this?

Welcome to the forum!

I have those but in my case they are not because of the PEG. It is just progression of the disease. It could be coincidence they started happening after the PEG was put in. I don't know what else could be causing this, if they persist then the button may need to be loosened as it may be too tight.

This is weird! I just read about this in a cancer patient when researching PEG problems this afternoon. After winding up in the ER several times, he eventually was put on medication for spasms and the pain subsided. Don't know if medication would help in your aunt's case.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Sorry about your aunt!

Welcome to the forum!

I have those but in my case they are not because of the PEG. It is just progression of the disease. It could be coincidence they started happening after the PEG was put in. I don't know what else could be causing this, if they persist then the button may need to be loosened as it may be too tight.

Thanks for the welcome! We've loosened the tube, and that doesnt seam to help it's still very painful for her. In your case is it like gas pains? or muscle spasms? shes says its kind of a cross between the two.

My case is muscle spasms and cramping. They usually do not last too long. I have had them and few times when they have lasted a half hour. I hope you can figure it out!

The nice part of having a PEG is if it is gas you can open it to releave it. Works much better than burping. LOL.

Shes having a hard time believing in the coincidence theory haha. I started giving her little tummy massages when she gets the pains and that seems to be helping, and a heating pad. She still swears its gas but it doesnt relieve anything when we open it up. Thanks so much for your advice!

Glen gets abdominal spasming tube, and he does not have a peg. In fact these spasms were among his earliest symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back