Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Chateaugay
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding eating. My mother lost 3 pounds over the past couple of weeks and we are hoping she can gain it back. She can still eat many things, but nothing that takes a lot of chewing. She likes her sweets and knows that eating cake,ice cream etc. will help her get the weight back but she is getting sick of that all the time. Does anyone know of any other foods that are high in fat and calories that she could try ? Okay now for the 2nd question. Has anyone had trouble when eating foods with spices finding it makes them choke? My mother has noticed recently even a small amount of pepper or other spices will make her choke when she is eating. Thanks again for helping me out with my silly questions.

Dana

Dana, I have a same reaction to spicy food.
Following are suggestions for high calorie supplements:
"TwoCal HN, a product from Abbott Laboratories, contains a very high caloric value. Each 8 ounce can contains 475 calories with a well balanced mix of protein, carbohydrate and fat. There is very little fiber (which provides no real nutrition) so almost all of it can be effectively used towards weight gain. TwoCal is gluten- and lactose-free and can usually be covered by insurance. Details on this and other supplements can be found at www.abbottnutrition.com"

"Carnation Instant Breakfast Lactose Free (VHC) This product of Nestle Nutrition is extremely high in calories (560 per 8.2 ounce can), is a well balanced mix of 16% protein, 34% carbohydrate and 50% fat."
Good luck, Erica

I used to make my mom a lot of cream soups with lots of butter and whipping cream or half and half. Also Alfredo sauce is loaded with fat and calories, I make my own with just butter, parmesian cheese, and whipping cream it's delicious over homemade noodles. Tuna fish and noodles with a homemade white sauce and tons of chesse would be high in fat and require little chewing.

Hi Dana!

There are no silly questions!

My Dad was also sensitive to pepper and spices.

I think Erica's post about a supplement is a great idea. You can get a lot of calories in a drink to supplement meals. Check out the options at your local Walmart pharmacy and maybe she will find one that tastes good to her.

I think Barry has a smoothie recipe she might like so check with him.

Hope all else is well.
Dana

Thanks everyone for the help. I made my mom cream of mushroom soup and a cake last weekend. She has also been drinking carnation drinks with ice cream in them, and it helped she has gained back 2 pounds. We are all very happy about that. Thanks again for the info.

Dana

I had the same problem with pepper and spices. I would choke and sometimes they would turn into the throat spasms (can't remember the name). I'm glad to know your mom has gained back the two pounds. I can almost taste the delicious alfredo sauce!:D

Dad really had to watch what he ate as anything spicy especially pepper made him choke as well. I'm also glad to know that your mom has gained back two pounds. That is really good.

Hello all, here is the recipe for my morning smoothie. I have had one of these almost every day since April and have gained 20 pounds drinking pretty much only this and taking four boxes of Resource 2.0 in my peg.

This gives me about 700 calories, so along with my formula I can take in about 2500 to 3000 calories per day.

1 banana (for thickening)
1 package of dry Carnation Instant Breakfast
1/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup whole (homogenized) milk
1 /3 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon ground flax (for fibre)
1 tablespoon wheat germ (for fibre)
1/2 cup frozen fruit (raspberries. cranberries, strawberries or whatever)

Blend well

If you want to avoid dairy you can substitute the liquid Instant Breakfast for the dry and cream and milk.

I have recently been adding one clove of garlic (chopped) to the mix and it helps to take away some of the sweetness, adds zing, helps to cut the bulbar throat goo and has added garlic properties (search the onions/garlic thread that Joel started).

Something else that I am able to eat is red pepper and tomato creamy soup. I add a couple of tablespoons of Maclarens Imperial sharp cheddar and sour cream and it is really good. I love spicy and am having trouble finding things that aren't sweet that I can swallow so this works for me.

That sounds yummy deeeelicious! Have you thought about trying a Thai coconut soup or a Thai Curry made with coconut cream/milk? That would definately take care of your need for zing and it is loaded with calories!

This does not solve the spicy problem, but I think that Indian food would be a good choice for people with chewing difficulty. many dishes are quite soft, such as sag paneer, tikka masala (made with chicken breast, but that can be broken up a bit), alu chole, a potato, chickpea, and tomato dish, and many others.

I love Indian food and was eating it the other day when it struck me that this would be a good cuisine for people in the early stages of chewing problems. many, if not most, of the dishes are really almost like thick stews.

it is spicy, though. anyway, just a thought.

Sandra

Thanks for the food ideas Kay Marie and Sandra. I do love Indian Butter Chicken and Thai food and I don't know why I never thought about that.

Another simple switch for all you Starbucks fans out there: order your drinks breve. They will be made with 1/2 & 1/2, taste amazing and definitly raise the fat and calorie count.

Barry, thanks for the smoothie recipe, I will pass that on to my mom. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and well wishes, please keep them coming.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back