Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
How many people have had one? Does it work? And shouldn't everyone with MND be offered one?

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but my partner's consultant does not think he needs it right now. We are both being vaccinated against swine flu, finally, this Thursday.

Cheers, Dani.

Dani, Pneumococcal vaccine is recommended for people 55 and over.
Did you get the seasonal flu vaccine as well? If not you should have both; swine flu and seasonal flu vaccines.
Erica.

I had the pneumonia vaccine last year. I believe it lasts several years (5?). It is not 100% effective by any means but gives another layer of protection. I don't see why any PALS wouldn't get it.

I got all 3 on friday, the pneumonia was recommended. I ask the nurse if i will need another one, she told me that it is a once in a lifetime shot. only side effects was headache, arms hurt...lol and achy for 2 days, but all is good now.

Last week I had pneumonia(Als clinic recommended) seasonal flu vacinations, Dr. says wait 3 weeks before going back fo H1N1 shot.

Jim got his - his PCP and neuro was all for it. Strange they would say he didn't need it.:confused:

I think this issue is further evidence that PALS need to be their own physicians to some extent. Neither my regular doctor nor my neurologist recommended a pneumonia vaccination to me. In fact I didn't know it existed until last year. When I asked my family doctor about my taking it, he strongly endorsed it.

BTW, I stood in line, well sat in my scooter, for five hours on Friday to get my H1N1 vaccination. Most of the time was outside. Chilly but worth it.

My first visit to the ALS clinic the very first thing they did was give me a flu shot and pneumonia vaccine. The pneumonia shot is good for five years. All my docs strongly recommend the flu shot and H1N1 not just for me but for my husband and kids too so I don't pick up anything from them. Unfortunately H1N1 vaccine still not available around here except for pregnant women, babies and toddlers.

My Husband got the H1N1 and the Pneumonia Vaccine the 3rd week in October because our son came down with H1N1. We were all put on Tamiflu. My Husband had no reactions to either vaccine and we did NOT get the H1N1 from our son. I was really frightened for my Husband. The Pneumonia Vaccine is a one time immunization. He is also going to have the Shingles Vaccine next month PER MY REQUEST. There has been a ton of controversy about the "mercury" in vaccinations in the Forum. Web has Bulbar Onset ALS. If a immunization will prevent him from getting a upper respiratory illness or lessen the severity of the illness-we want it! Our son and I had the Seasonal Flu when he was 5 years old and I thought [wished?!] I would die. HORRID! It is not your ordinary cold. I was doing Alupent Nebulizer Treatments every 30 minutes to keep his airway open! As with everything, each person will have to make an informed decision on what is best for them and their family. Just make certain that you are not given a vaccine that is "live"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back