Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
When Jim had his chair delivered, he was told "try not to get it wet; it could affect the electronics". (?)

It was pouring this morning & we had to get out; so, back to the transport chair for us.
Is this really necessary? I can't believe you would be held prisoner by the weather.

What does everyone do about this? What precautions do you take? (besides an umbrella, which wouldn't help the underside.) And, what about when it snows?
It's a loaner, so we don't want to screw it up!

Thanks!

An umbrella is all we use and have not had any problems. We go out no matter what the weather is like, rain, snow, 20 degrees below, etc.

They have to give these precautions to protect themselves, but things are not that sensitive.

Thanks, Joel! So the chair won't melt in the rain! LOL

Hasn't yet! LOL

I have to leave my chair outside when I take DW to dialysis, so I throw a tarp over it if it's precipitating or the radar looks like it's going to before I get back. On my Permobil, the control head appears to be pretty waterproof, and all of the electronics are under a fiberglass cover. Now, getting the Roho seat wet is another story....LOL.

When I use to carry my wheelchair on the rear lift of my car, we went through many rain puddles, and drove it in hard rains. It never had a problem. The control is pretty much water resistant, not water proof, but to date afte several years we have had no problems.

When we got my chair the guy told us to try and keep the control panel dry. If it's really raining hard, try slipping a plastic bag over the arm; it protects the controls and you can still use the joystick. Those bags that the newspaper comes in work well for this.

Good tip, tajmom- I was thinking about all the mechanics under the seat. I never gave a thought about the joy stick!

Thanks Al & Perry for the reassurance.

GO PHILLIES !

I drive my big scooter through rain and snow. I do something similar to tajmom's newspaper bag. I carry a plastic grocery bag in the seat pocket and if it starts to rain hard, I slip it over the tiller head protecting the most delicate electronics. I spray the underside with a rust-proofing spray a couple of times a year. My dog and I are fairly water resistant and the water hasn't done us any harm yet.

It was pouring rain when I was at the mall today. I went from the far side of the parking lot through the rain to get inside. The only issue I had is "I GOT WET" , and the chair didnt seem to care.

What an insensitive piece of hardware.

I did notice one thing , you can power slide on the mall floors when the wheels are wet ;)

Glen

Glen-
Is that like hydroplaning with your car?

Glen which chair did you end up purchasing? We have the invacare and our going back to the drawing board. Andrew really needs legs that extend and tilt. Glad you are getting out....even in the rain!
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

The chair I have is a loaner from the ALS Loan cabinet. Its a Pronto M91 Sure Step.

While it has been made to my measurements, its is not my final chair. It was really interesting to watch them put the parts together.

Hi Mare,

I guess the principal is the same , but this was on purpose. One has to know the limits of the vehicles one drive EH !

Glen

Kelly-
Did you check to see if you could add-on leg extenders?
Jim has a loaner Invacare Storm TDX4; the legs will raise, but manually. There is a lever & then you pull the legs up to where you want them. This chair tilts as well.

Taking notes for when he gets his own chair. (long way off, I hope!)

I just cover the controls with a bag in the rain or snow. If it's really pouring I use an umbrella. I didn't get the power leg rests at first but had to get them this summer due to swelling of feet and legs. $3200 but was mostly subsidized by gov't and ALS Society. Might as well get them from the start if you can.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back