Reason
Other
Country
US
State
mi
City
farm hls
So last night, I went to dinner with my husband, daughter and my inlaws. My husband was telling us about a coworker from another city's office that just commited suicide. Then, my father in law adds his comments, "I don't know why anyone would do that to themselves, unless they were terminally ill with a bad disease....you know, like Lou Gehrigs disease...they say thats the worse one to die from because you choke to death."
Ok, so I stood there just silent because little did he know that I'm extremely concerned I have this disease.
Maybe someone could clarify though...is that really how people die, I thought it is from respiratory failure.
Joel - in your signature you say you see ALS as a chronic disease, not a fatal disease...this meaning that if you get a vent/trache, there is no respiratory failure...but what about if you cannot swallow...couldn't you potentially choke on saliva?
Is a vent/trache the reason Stephen Hawking has lived so long?

I ass-u-me that your father in law has no idea of what you are experiencing.

Of course , assisted breathing will help extend your life. Just as a PEG will help you eat. It all depends on the individual , there rate of progression, and their wishes as things move forward.

Me, I intend to go kicking and screaming. So far , I'm still here ;)

Glen

no, he doesn't know whats been going on. But what I'm asking is if someone is put on a trache/vent, can they still choke to death from saliva, or is that problem solved also?

If he gets a PEG and a Trach , then he is safe.

To my knowledge, Stephen Hawkins doen NOT have a trach & vent.
I do not know if he has PEG & bipap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back