Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
I have two questions for those of you who can no longer take food by mouth. Would you be able to taste a food...put it in your mouth and then spit it out? ( I am just trying to think of a way Dad can enjoy in some fashion the foods the rest of us eat, and *especially so during Thanksgiving dinner. ) Can you "have a drink" of an alcoholic beverage ( or even a cup of coffee ) via your PEG tube?

Debbie

Good Questions. I too want to know as I will be there one day.

I am hoping its - you can put anything you want through the tube if its liquified, and then a drop of something good in your mouth for the taste buds.

Imagine those gawd-awful tasting veggies through the tube , and it tastes like Jack Daniels in your mouth.

Oooo ... a B52 down the tube - now that would be the bomb !

Glen

Last edited:
The alcohol hits hard and fast, just to warn you. Then again, Andy was doing vodka shots......We learned to temper them down a bit. We went to the old standby, his fave vodka/oj, as if he were sipping it. I must say though, we had some great laughs when he did shots in his tube! Oh. And make sure the joy stick is on "attendent, if he is in a power chair....

Tony is able to take his beer and coffee via his tube. He does take a small sip so he can taste the flavor of it. He now only has about a half a cup or two 60 ml syringes.

We've found that food no longer tastes the same. Hubbanero takes his nutrition through the tube and takes food or drink by mouth for entertainment.

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like Dad *should be able to at least *taste and get at least some enjoyment of food this way. ( I will check to see whether things still taste the same to him, wacked. ) I know I'm going to feel so bad that Dad won't be able to actually *eat the food that he will see the rest of us eating. Letting him taste will help me *and him I hope. I know he liked to have some alcoholic drinks, so maybe now he can still "have a beer" during a football game!

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back