Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
I'm confused and so is the woman I spoke to in pulmonology, I suspect.

I'm told that my dad isn't getting a Bipap. He's getting an Avap. I've done a bit of research and it seems that an Avap IS a Bipap.

Is anyone familiar with an Avap? I want to be sure it's bi-directional and that he's not getting a CPap.

Thanks!

My machine say VPAP on it , and its a BiPap machine.

If in doubt , its always best to double check like you are doing.

Glen

Lisa,

i just got my Bipap/Avap the other day... I was told it is just a newer type of Bipap.

Lora

No Fear- Just Faith

Newer and a different manufacturer. Bpap is a copyright name so no other manufacture can use it.

Well I went to clinic on Thursday. Seems limbs are still strong. The voice is going going..I pretty much sound like I have mush in my mouth most of the time. NOT liking this at all. I told my Dr. about how hard it is to breath without hardly doing much at all. He had a test done and It has dropped from 83 to 52... NOT liking that either. I will be going back to Denver Nov 5th to see the pulmonary Dr. I think Bipap is in the near future... Told that this will make my life easier? Shall see... anything to make my life easier would be nice. Not complaining mind you,I love all my new toys, speech device, Pill crusher,new blender,now a fun new Bipap.. Can hardly wait...

Go for the BiPap. Your numbers were just like mine. Since I have been on BiPap , my numbers have not changed - still hanging in at 52% .

My voice is going though, words are getting harder and harder to say. Oddly enough, when I get frustrated, I can yell curses that are quite understandable.

Call your Doc (Nov 5) and mention that if he thinks you will need a BiPap, ask him to order it now , so you can bring it home without another wait. ;) Just a thought.

Glen

Hi Glen, that is very good idea[calling the Dr.] I will do that. I am going through a very hard time the last little while. The thought of not talking...as it gets worse and worse the realization sets in and boy what a life change. It is hard when you are with family or friends and you have these little thoughts that you want to share and by the time you get it out the who group are on to another topic? What a bummer... Feel like no one will remember my personality any longer.just llike a part of me is gone for good. damn hard to deal with...I hate this so much. On another note, My family and my friends are wonderful to me and I do feel so much love coming from them all. They try to make this journey with me and make it the best as possible. I am ver Thankful for them. So I will need to just buck up and live each day one day at a time... Right? Linda

Linda - It sounds like you're in the same place my dad is right now. Your frustration jumps off the screen! I feel for you. And, I can see what you mean about conversations moving too quickly when I watch my dad interact with others in our family. You mentioned a speech device. Do you use it in general conversation? How has that affected your interactions with others?

I like what Glen said about calling the doc in advance. Dad's next clinic appointment is Nov. 3 and I have my "list of demands." :) Yesterday, I called to investigate changing Dad's Rubinal prescription to the patch on or before that date and today, I'm working on getting the Dynavox in the office so we can pick it up on the 3rd.

BTW, how does one "learn" to accept the bipap? Dad got his today (yah!), but tells me he hates it and doesn't want to wear it (boo!). I won't make him, obviously, but I'd love for him to give it a try.

Linda , one day at a time is the best. Its not a good day unless you piss at least one person off ;) Smile , they will think you are up to something.

Lisaann, the trick is to make the machine breath on your own time.
Once you learn to inhale before it wants too , it will follow you and you can slow it down. Try using it while watching TV.
Relax .
Make sure the mask fits properly with as little or no leaks. A leaky mask will frustrate you.

Hope this helps.

Glen

AVAPS: Assured Volume Assured Pressure Support

My husband has one that he cannot sleep without. It adjusts to a person's breathing and maintains the needed volume in the lungs. It is a newer version of BiPap by the same manufacturer.

It's a blessing!

Hi Lisaann and Glen, I have been in the cabin getting ready for a Halloween Party,luncheon tomorrow. Usually I do this with my friends up here on the mountain in Dec. I thought that with my hard time breathing and getting sooooo tired with everything I do, I best do this instead.
Yes, Lisa I am very frustrated with my speech problem. I hate it matter a fact... Tomorrow I will say alot of yes's and no's but not alot of interaction with everyone like I have loved so much in the past. I have an apple ipod that has been programed for speech. I bought a nice little purse that it fits in and I have started taking it with me on trips with Richard and practicing with him. I am so darn slow. Need to really get faster with it. I am also borrowing a nice dynovox while my Dina write is on its way, soon I hope. I have just played with it a little. My Grand daughter helped program some things in it for me. I know I should be thankful that I have this machine. Trying to be but not quite there yet..lol Take care and oh Glen how are your BOO BOO's today? Hope much better? Lin

HHAHHAHAHHA Boo Boos ... LOL

They are healing up , less painful today.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back