Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
MD
City
baltimore
Has anyone with ALS and respiratory symptoms have experienced problems breathing from inhaling parfums, scented products or other chemical fumes.
I was diagnosed this summer with axial onset of ALS and have a decline in my FVC along with shortness of breath.
Used to enjoy wearing parfume and scented lotions, but recently started with choking episodes with use of scented products or cleaning supplies.
Would appreciate other PALS input.

That is quite common, I used to have to leave the room. It is a lot better now.

I agree with Joel. When I first became ill, I am a cleaning fanatic, and everytime I would clean, I would dry heave the entire time, that old gag reflex would go crazy, and I would have watery eyes, dry heaves the whole bit. My husband would say wow I did not know cleaning upset you that much.

It's not uncommon. I used to have to run out of the room if I smelled cinnamon. It lasted about six months, and went away. Others have reacted to other odors. Now I once again love cinnamon!

When PZ is flatulent - everyone leaves the room

I too tend to cough a couple of times when i get a wiff of things, especially cleaning and air fresh.
Thats why i dont clean :)

I have given up wearing parfums when i grew out of my high heeled shoes, so they dont bother me. :lol::lol::lol:

cheers
Peter

For me, any perfumes and/or chemical smells triggers laryngeal spasms and my gag reflex.
Patsy

I wonder if PZ has read this thread! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back