How much does in home (non-nursing) care cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COlisa

Distinguished member
Hi All,
I know that the costs vary, depending on where you live, but can you please let me know:
a) How much you pay per hour for in-home NON-nursing care?
b) Where you are located? City, State or Country

We need help and insurance pays nothing, so I am trying to get a handle on budget.

THANKS!
Lisa

Here in Madison, WI, minimum I found is $25/hour. There must be county/city/state funded agencies in your area which can help. Are you eligible for Medicaid? If you are then help almost costs nothing.

Los Angeles, California, non-nursing but licensed caregivers through agency are about $23 per hour. (Caregiver gets $12 of that!)
Caregivers without agency about $15 up, depending on what they can negotiate. My agency caregiver uses her own car for errands, shopping and taking us to appointments, and does not get reimbursed for mileage by agency! (I reimburse her privately.)

This is an expensive city, so that is pretty poor pay.

here in el paso , tx it cost from 15 to 25 an hour. but u can risk and hire someone from across the boarder for 50 a day, 250 a week monday thur friday.

I found a caregiver for $9 through a local ethnicity based non-profit organization. She's good with my dad...just not so good with the housework. I think maybe we were not clear enough with her in the start to state what we wanted from her so she doesn't see the housework as part of her responsibility. His care has become harder as the months have gone on so we close our eyes to it since the two of them are so used to each other now. If you don't go through an agency you run the risk of liability if something happens. Paying the extra money might be worth it to you if you have concerns such as those.

Hi LisaM
What is an "ethnicity based non profit"?

Thanks,
Lisa

I have a friend in Largo Florida who pays $8 to $10 for non professional help. She found them by word of mouth.

AL.

Ref: ethnicity-based. Here in L.A., I have found terrific nursing homes for primarily Japanese-American seniors, for example. I don't know if they would reject someone of a different background, but they would serve Japanese food, and probably have Japanese-speaking attendants, and there would be cultural differences in the recreation available, etc. Also, a great facility near me is the "Jewish Home for the Aging," which serves a specific religious community. I imagine in a city as diverse as L.A., there are probably resources for almost every ethnic background imaginable. If you live near a big city, or in a diverse area, that might be a good place to turn for a reasonable and trustworthy caregiver.

If I could only find a Welsh-Irish-English-French group, I'd be all set.

Word of mouth is the best recommendation! Have you contacted ALSA in your area? My ALSA rep knows all the caregivers for all her patients, and who is looking for more hours, or needs a new job.

Here in upstate NY the going rate for uncertified but experienced care is 12 to 15 dollars per hour..... recommended by word of mouth and references. The caregiver should be willing to attend doctor's visits and learn all they can to follow doctor's orders to the letter. Also at least one interview would be advised to talk about ALL situations on both sides... the client, the caregiver, and the family. I have been on all sides of the issues and have had nothing but wonderful experiences.

It is a privilege to be a part of comfort and strength to those who are ailing or failing in health. Make sure anyone you hire has that attitude. If you find out they don't, fire them quickly and look for another. Don't hire someone who carries a cell phone and spends time with it rather than the client.

Along the way I have learned more and more. I always tell what I know and can do, and in turn admit what I don't know but am willing to learn. It has worked.

Anyone that comes into your home to give care should write in a journal for that purpose...telling of the daily duties and events so that the next person can review it and keep track of dates. Often the doctor will ask,"when did this begin or that happen" and you can look it up in the journal. The caregiver should write discreetly so that it doesn't upset the client should they read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back