Diagnosis
07/0009
Country
US
State
XXX
City
XXX
I just read this article that I thought was worthwhile sharing with everyone.
Original article provides a summary of a clinical trial: A pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study of Erythropoietin in ALS pts.
It was a 24 mo study that found potential delay in onset of motor neuron deterioration and prevented axonal degeneration. Moreover, drug can cross the intact blood-brain barrier.
Study was conducted in Milan Italy.

I'm a bit skeptical of Italian studies after the lithium trial.

AL.

hm... what is going on in italy?

do you have the link please Erica? I'd like to read it.

AL.. that was my exact first thought. Definitly need to see it replicated somewhere else!

key word potential delay

Is this the study you are referring to:

Abstract
Preclinical studies demonstrated that erythropoietin is neuroprotective in different models of peripheral and central nervous system diseases. We investigated safety and tolerability of recombinant human erythropoietin (rhEPO) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). We performed a phase II double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. After screening, 23 patients were randomly assigned to rhEPO or placebo arm. Patients were examined during a six-month lead-in period, and then they received fortnightly either 40,000 units of rhEPO or placebo for 24 months. Primary outcomes were adverse events, safety, and death or tracheotomy. Treatment was safe and well tolerated. One patient in the rhEPO arm dropped out for a superficial phlebitis. Median values of haematocrit, haemoglobin, red cells, and reticulocytes were non-significantly higher in rhEPO than placebo arm. Haemoglobin did not increase >1 g/dl between subsequent doses. Anti-rhEPO antibodies were not detected. Survival and slope of ALSFRS-R curves did not significantly differ between treatment groups. RhEPO treatment was safe and well tolerated in ALS patients. Our results suggest that larger studies are warranted to confirm safety of treatment and to investigate different dose schedule and efficacy.

CJ-
I think it's the same article. In the discussion part of this article it says" we demonstrated that rhEPO treatment is safe and well tolerated, and suggest that larger studies are warranted"
New trial with the above drug is enrolling pts at the "Carlo Besta" National Neurological Institute, Milan.
P.S. I was given a print out of this article. Should you be interested in, I can scan it and attach to email.

Keep in mind that if you take EPO, you will not be able to compete in the Tour de France bicycle race, or other professional cycling events...

Or the Olympics! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back