Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
After the last visit with the speech pathologist, the son and I went out and bought some Thickit, available at the local drug store. Started putting it in Glen's gatorade, his coffee, his juice... heck, I've even put it in his beer. In about a week, he's put on almost 4 pounds, and says he's feeling "less sick." He's even getting his sense of humor back... which we first saw when he told everyone in the room that I was "evil, wicked, cruel and nasty" with a HUGE grin on his face! So if anyone doubts how important hydration is... believe!

I am so glad things are going better! Thanks for letting us know.

Way to go Katie, drinking is so important and it's great that Glen can drink his beer!

y'know... I figured it was worth a try, and even tasted it... it really didn't change the flavor, so yeah,he was very happy!

What a great success!

Your post makes me wonder how many other caregivers have tried the thickening agents! I'll raise my hand! :)

We bought it but Web is just not ready to use it yet. It doesn't change the taste, only the consistancy. How much do you use? I tried it and it made me shudder! Too weird to be having that texture of thick mucous in my mouth and to be actually drinking it?! I did what they told us to add but ugggg...maybe less would be an improvement? Web needs to do it but he just can't get beyond the-the-the- gross feeling that he is slurping SNOT! I'm gagging now!

Right now, I'd say that using about a scoop (about 1 Tablespoon) per 3 ounces of liquid seems to get it to a consistency he can handle. We started with less and worked up until we got to a thickness he didn't choke on. I think the sheer relief of not feeling like he was drowning with every sip of liquid got Glen past any dislike of the texture. Like I said.. we put it in just about everything. About the only thing I don't is his morning Starbucks mocha.. but the barristas know it's Glen's "special drink" and make it with 1/2 & 1/2 so it's naturally thicker, and by drinking it from the cup with the cover, he naturally drinks it more slowly.

I did taste the beer before I gave it to him and yeah, it was a little weird, but the taste was the same so it was worth it.

Thanks Katie, I will try that amount. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back