Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
Is anyone here using a hospital bed?

Dad needs to elevate his upper torso because of acid reflux, but we need to be cautious of his back (old injury). Of course, he's losing muscle tone due to the ALS, so mobility is also an issue. We've started to talk about hospital beds as a solution.

Where do you even buy one?! Should I be prepared for sticker shock? I don't suppose Medicare or the VA will cover something like this?

Thanks a million!

Lisa, my mom had a hospital bed , it helped her tremendously. Her medical insurance paid for her bed. Good Luck

check with your local ALS society...they do have loaners

Expensive to buy. Craftmatics are cheaper than a hospital bed, but You should be able to get one from the loaner closet.

Here in Madison, we have a non-profit program called "WheelChair Recycling". They also have a branch in Milwaukee. They do have hospital beds, check with them. They have nice stuff for lot less.

My husband sleeps in a hospital bed. He also has an alternating air pressure pad he uses on top of the mattress. We got ours from a local Medical Supply store. Medicare paid for most of it.

Hi I have never posted before on here just been lurking around because I"m not even sure my Dad had ALS. He passed in May and had a lot of problems but he was 100% disabled veteran and the VA Hospital in Decatur Ga was wonderful providing things such as Hospital bed, oxygen, Bipap, electric wheelchairs and etc. So if your father is a veteran I would check with the VA first. All of this was provided at no cost and they were really good to him. He was in the process of getting a handicap van the day he died. They even sent someone to my mothers house 3 times a week to give him baths and a nurse came to check on him and his medicines monthly.

I was led to this site checking on some things my Dad had and lots of them match up but he may not have had ALS. I come on here and read and I have to say I admire all the people on here living with this disease.

Welcome Cheermom,
I guess you have a cheerleader in the family, how fun...Welcome to our home on the WEB... I am sorry about your dad. You have already offered a insightful thoughtful message, hope you will feel welcome to visit and contribute often.

I've had a hospital bed on loan from ALS Society for a couple years now. It's a lifesaver.

AL.

hospital provided my fathers and he is as happy as a pig in mud with his bed and remote to position himself. he doesn't have insurance per se (he has county coverage which isn't much however they have provided the bed and oxygen with only 100 out of pocket required until medicare kicks in soon).

I agree with checking with the ALS local chapter in your area. our rep has been AMAZING at providing things for us and being a constant place for support.

Hi,

I’ve tried memory foam mattresses and find them infinitely more comfortable than their
spring-based counter parts but I prefer them with a comfort cover (much like those found
on a regular mattress) as the enveloping nature of the foam feels a little restrictive to me.

for a hospital bed.it may suit to the electric one according to your info.
handcotrol will be helpful.buying from china supplier may be will saving cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back