Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
Okay we got an approval letter that Jim was approved for SSDI, however they have not made a decision on the non-medical requirements. What non-medical requirements are there? I thought ALS was 100% approved SSDI. Has anyone been able to prove onset prior to medical treatment. They only approved him back to 4/1/09 - no idea where they got this date - no med visits then. However, in his med records states the neuro believes onset of FTD to be 2 yrs ago and the reseach I read states that FTD symptoms usually start approx 2 yrs prior to ALS symptoms - which seems right on in his case.

Thanks.:confused:

Shelley,

I believe they mean they have to verify work history for paid in SS to qualify for benefits.

My husband was approved for benefits back to the date he stopped working. We were told that was the rule (we tried to get him approved back to diagnosed). But, it seems states vary and SS offices vary on how they handle cases.

If this makes sense they count 5 months after you etiher stopped working, or become unable to work. For instance if you become unable to work in January 2008, your payments would start in July 2008. You will get retroactive if you were unable to work, and did not because of a later diagnosed. I hate that they make is so darn confusing. ALS is considered immediate, so you definitely get disability if you have enough work credits. They may be making a decision regarding back pay and such. Ask if I can help anymore.

I am not sure where they "found" the date they are using. He stopped working d/t what turned out to be FTD sx in 8/07. His records state onset 2yrs ago. His first treatment was for depression in 10/08 - the neuro states this was FTD related. He was denied the SSI portion - possible approval for the SSI portion. Not sure if his denial is due to his ability to watch the kids. I think I may contact an attorney - I am afraid to do more damage by calling SSI directly. They purposely make it difficult hoping you'll just go OK. From what I can tell some is limited by my income sice it is considered his alternate income. It is getting to the point where I make so little at my 2nd job - I may end up ahead by leaving there and accepting WIC, food stamps, etc. I may also be eligible to lower my mortgage payments per my mortgage company. I swear sometimes it pays more to be lazy then to do the right thing.

Social Sec Disability Ins is not based on income. It's based on the credits paid in over years of work, as Hoping said.

Maybe I've misunderstood your post.

Shelly,

Do whatever you need to do to take the best care of your family... if this is you not working part-time then, so be it..Survival for your family is now, what you need to worry about. Taking care of a spouse with ALS and children is enough.

If you are able to quilify for any help please take it. This disease really makes you look at things different. If you can get help take it, and don't be ashamed. You are hardley lazy..... Lora

Ditto what Lora said! If you qualify for any help whatsoever, get it! You and your family deserve it!

There are many pALS and their families that make too much to qualify for any programs, but struggle to make ends meet due to the cost of care and the cost of just existing on reduced income.

Yes, there are people that scam the system, but I don't think we can put ourselves in that category...

Shelley, can you get with your social worker at the ALS Clinic to help you weed through the paperwork for SS? They should be able to help you and you wouldn't have to hire an attorney. It seems I remember in all my research that there are disability organizations that will help the disabled with things like this for free. If I have time, I will try to find it.

Good luck to you and your family during this process.

I left my job position on June 24th, 2009 since I had accumulated 6 months of sick pay. I applied for SSDI on August 13, 2009 and I received a letter on September 3, 2009 stating that I was not eligibile for SSI because my husbands unemployment and my sick pay we made to much. We then called the social security office on the following week fearful that I was denied for disabilty. They were very nice and very helpful with answering our question and verified that I was approved for SSDI and medicare. They also explained that payment are based on the date of your birthday mine being May 21st which means I will not receive a check until January 27, 2010 but medicare would be in place in December.(^^^)

Shelly did Jim receive a password in the mail? If so you can go on line and check out the staus of Jim's claim and you may find the answers you need there or just call. They explained everything to us because neither of us understood how any of this worked so we know what were doing now. :)

We were told by the SS office that if you have ALS they will look at your claim first and foremost. When we submitted our paperwork, we received a call the same day.

Keep after them.

Shelley,
Did you get this figured out? We also do not qualify for any of the other programs but we still do not make enough to pay our living expenses :[ It is all sooooo overwhelming and I am so angry that we worked all those decades and paid into all of those programs only to find out that they do NOT assist US citizens that worked and paid TAXES! I have written, emailed and phoned all the politicans in our state PLUS the whitehouse.gov and NO RESPONSE. argggggg I refuse to take this laying down and I am being very PROACTIVE and rattling cages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back