Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
Good Heavens...

Yesterday, on the day that Dad was originally scheduled for his PEG procedure (long story, another thread), he ended up in the hospital anyway! He was and still is having pains that turned out to be caused by kidney stones.

I wish he could catch a break. He's had the ALS diagnosed for 3 1/2 months and is already moving into a power chair, needing a PEG, and looking into assistive speaking devices. Seemingly, his symptoms have progressed so quickly that he's really getting depressed. It breaks my heart.

Because of the kidney stones, he's in severe pain and he's struggling with swallowing the new meds (even the liquid ones). Because of the pain, he's not hungry, so he's not eating. And, he struggles to drink (even with thickening agents), so he's not getting enough fluid to pass the stones.

I thought I had a question here somewhere...

I think I'm feeling "lost" because as much as we try to make his life comfortable, the payoff for him gets overshadowed by some new symptom or pain.

Lisa, I have no advice, just prayers that your dad gets through this really rough patch and is pain-free soon.

Hang in there.

I have had Kidney stones as well and they are not fun. A person needs to drink LOTS of water and preferably with lemon. This can be a real problem without a PEG. I am sorry for the problems and hope they can be overcome soon.

Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry to read about what your dad is going through. I wonder if he would be a candidate for lithotripsy to deal with the stones? Sound waves are used to break up the stones. An IV is started and some sedation is given during the procedure. I don't have ALS, but I have had lithotripsy done for kidney stones. It was quick and painless having the procedure and got rid of my stones--procedure took maybe 20 minutes. Since he is not likely to pass them since he isn't drinking, it might be a solution.
Laurel

OUCH... my husband "gave birth" to a kidney stone a few years back - he was in serious pain. He had an overnight visit in hospital on iv to hydrate him and give him pain relief. Your dad really sounds like he needs a break.

All the best.

Lisa,

I am so sorry your Dad has the kidney stones and is in pain. I hope he gets treatment and relief fast so he can then get that PEG.

Thinking of you guys.
Dana

Dana

Thinking of you and hope all will be well soon.

Oh Lisa... your poor dad. And poor YOU! You must be exhausted. Hang in there... we're pulling for you.

Update - Dad was again admitted to the hospital yesterday, but released today. He was quite dehydrated, but after 24+ hours of fluids via IV and good pain meds, he's looking much better and in less pain.

He's still waiting to "give birth." (Great description, Five!) He's pretty convinced that this would be easier with a PEG. Without, he's forced to try to intake 64+ fl. oz. of water using his uncooperative throat muscles.

I never knew kidney stones could be soooo awful! Women I've spoken to have said they're worse than labor!

On the positive side, he's finally making plans MONTHS in advance. :) I suggested we take a vacation for Christmas and he's interested. I LOVE that he's interested in travel and that he's looking ahead with some optimism.

I'm glad your Dad is doing better. Yes, kidney stones are dreadful. I'm a retired nurse and had my episode while on holidays. Went to the local emergency room, couldn't stop pacing, couldn't concentrate on anything but the pain. The ER was very quiet, the one doctor on duty was across the room reading charts, and in my pain wracked mind I figured he was ignoring me. So much to my embarrassment, I eventually had had the bun and yelled out, "Doctor get over here. I can't stand anymore!" He sent a nurse with a big syringe of Demerol much to my relief. Albeit the technique lacked some elements of safety i.e. he hadn't examined me yet, no vital signs were taken, all the info. they had was based on me saying that I believed it was a kidney stone. But I gratefully took the Demerol <g>, and got the xrays and proper diagnosis after the fact.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back