Not open for further replies.

thelma313

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
I am just wondering if anyone with Bulbar onset has ever experienced throat pain and the sensation that your throat is closing in? My dad is in the emergency ward yet again with this symptom. The night before last he felt an acute pain in his throat and a swelling sensation that was preventing whatever swallowing abilities he has left. It got bad enough that he agreed to return to the hospital and he is not one to complain and he has a high tolerance for pain.

The doctors are searching for possibilities for the cause of this. They suspect a throat infection but I highly doubt that. I am wondering if this is ALS-related and if anyone else here can shed any light on it.

For now he is on pain medication so he is somewhat comfortable at least.

Thanks!
Rosella

My heart goes out to you, Rosella! My dad has had "pain" but not to the extent you've described.

Is it possible to scope the throat of a PALS? Dad had this done months ago before his symptoms became more profound and before he was diagnosed. He was complaining of throat pain and difficulty swallowing. The tests showed nothing, though.

I suspect some discomfort would be normal if the muscles are atrophying, but acute pain does seem less the norm.

I hope they can make your dad more comfortable!

Take care!

Thanks Lisa. The doctor could not do a scan of his throat because my dad cannot lie perfectly flat but they have scoped his throat and it showed nothing. Now they are just waiting for the results of a swab to see if it might be an infection but I strongly suspect it is not because this has happened before and an infection would have presented itself by now, in my opinion, but of course I am no doctor.

Rosella,
Same as above for my mom, has had some pain but not to that extent. I hope they can figure things out for your dad soon. Poor guy just got home. Keep us posted.

Sorry Rosella! My husband has more of a spasm type pain. His throat will close up and he will be unable to breath for about a minute. But after that passes he is pain free.

I hope they find the cause quickly!

Your poor dad! He's really had a time of it lately. About the pain, only pain I have is the spasm thing, not throat, however it does sometimes feel like its closing in, and, as I mentioned in another post, it bothers me to have the front of my throat touched, even the slightest pressure makes me feel like I'm being strangled.

They do say that even though ALS is a disease of the motor neurons, that it does not always limit itself to just he motor function of nerves , so, it does stand to reason that your dad's sensory component is affected as well. I really hope they find a treatable cause for it!

Thank you Tfisher, CJ, and Rose for the input and support. It is so appreciated.

Rose, my dad does have the same sensitivity to the front of his throat. My mom observed this at the hospital when the doctors touched it. I just wish he didn't have so much pain! His shoulders, legs and throat seem to hurt A LOT.

I am really hoping there is a treatable cause for the throat issue. I'm just worried that my dad has some strangely painful case of ALS... like it's not bad enough already!

Hi, I hope your dad feel's better. I have tightness of my throat, and like others explained if anyone touches my throat area I feel strangled and super sensitive. I do think what he is experiencing could be from ALS.. It may be spasms or throat fasiculations, I sure hope it is something treatable, but it could surely be related to ALS.

hi thelma.... sorry about your dad's recent trouble. it sounds very painful, not to mention frightening.

my mum used to complain of feeling like her throat was closing over, and she also thought there was a hardness or swelling in her neck. we took her to a thyroid doctor who said that her thyroid is fine for a woman of her age -- we can only assume it's the dreaded ALS. it hasn't been a great problem, or one she has had lately. i hope your dad can find some peace soon!

Hoping, I think you're right and this is related to the ALS. It just seems to me that he has an aggressive and painful case. Thanks for your input.

Thanks rocmg, I hope my dad finds peace soon too. It's funny but every single Christmas as far back as I can remember whenever I asked my dad what he wanted for Christmas he always replied (very loudly) "PEACE" and then he'd laugh. He responded this way this every single time I'd ask the question. Let's hope Christmas comes early for him and he gets the peace now.

What a nice man your father must be.. I sure hope he get's some comfort. I was thinking that he could have spasicity (very severe), that can flucuate, and would expain the waxing and waining that has taken place. I am sure hoping he get's PEACE.. He has surely raised a lovely daughter in you.

Thank you, Hoping. You are so kind and I am really touched. My dad really is a good guy. He's everybody's handyman and was always ready to help a friend or family member who needed him. It's odd now that the tables are turned but I love and respect that guy and would do anything to relieve his suffering.

I appreciate your input so much.

Rosella,
Sorry to hear your Dad is having pain and problems with his throat. My Dad use to say that sometimes it felt like the insides of his throat were touching - may be similar to the closing in feeling. I imagined (in my wee brain) it was weakened muscles or atrophy like in Dad's hands. He did not report pain though. I am so sorry that your Dad is at the hospital yet again. I hope he is home soon and has the peace like you described.
Dana

Thank you Dana. We are hoping that he will be released tomorrow. At least he is not in any pain this evening. It seems to come and go.
All the best to you and your mom.

We are all hoping that your dad is home and feeling better soon. I am hoping he is resting tonight and comfortable. I really love that your dad always asked for PEACE, that says so much, and has so many meaning's so inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back