Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi,

According to doctors, my father is at the last stage of ALS. He cannot talk, move, eat. REcently, he developed a kind of skin disease : he got small bubbles spreading on his arms and back.
The doctor prescribed big doses of hormone injections (Dexamethasone, 16 mg per day) in combination with antibiotics. Not only did it help his skin condition, his neurological symptoms seem to improve: muscle cramps disappeared, his hands and legs have become more relaxed, and he was able to move a hand once.

Has anybody heard of such effects of hormone on PALS?

Thanks,
AlexM

AlexM,
Sorry to hear about your Father. Thank you for sharing. It almost sounds like he has "Shingles". Here is a very informative link about the medication. Dexamethasone injection It will be interesting to see if anyone else has had a similar reaction.

Hi Alex. Dexamethasone is a powerful steroid hormone. Frequently steroids are given to people with various conditions such as autoimmune disorders such as Myasthenia Gravis and CIDP. Does his neurologist know of his positive neurological response to the dexamethasone? Has Myasthenia Gravis been ruled out with your dad?
Laurel

Hi,
Thank you for the link about Dexamethasone. As for the Myasthenia, Laurel, this is a question we have been trying to answer since February 2008, when my father was diagnosed and we did not believe the diagnosis. Thank you very much for your question: it gave me the courage to ask the forum: What to do to rule out Myasthenia? In out situation it is all left to the family to decide what to do.
Sincerely,
AlexM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back