Not open for further replies.

thelma313

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
I am looking into getting my dad a suction machine as soon as possible to help him with his secretion problem. I want him to have it when he comes home from the hospital which should be within the next few days if all goes well. Does anyone have any recommendations? Advice?

Sorry no advice really. Ours is DeVilbis and I don't know about any others or how good they are. I would think they are all just about the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks CJ! That is the brand that they mentioned at the hospital. I was just wondering if there were different ones.

There are lots of different makes but that is the one they provide around here and it works great!

I have the DeVillbiss also, and it's very easy to use. I looked for a model number but couldn't find one, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Thelma,

Thank you for the timely post! I just logged on tonight with the intent of asking the very same question!

Dad's speech therapist said that she's never met an ALS patient who had any success with a suction machine, but Dad's interested in giving it a shot anyway.

Thanks to all of the suggestions.

Thanks Everyone, for your input!

Lisa, the suction machine does bring some relief to my dad so it's better than not doing anything. I think it's worth having.

Suction machine was vital for my mom, she had great success with it. When she first got it she was able to use it herself until both arms were too weak. My suggestion is to look at the button for turning it on and off. If your dad is able to use it himself for now, find one that is easy to turn on because once strength in the hands fades, it might be too difficult. Mom's had a button that was easy for me, but a challenge for her as she weakened. They gave us two in case one failed we had a backup. Make sure they have a battery backup, maybe they all do I don't know for sure.

Very good tip, thanks asantiago. My dad has already lost a lot of strength in his right hand so this is definitely a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back