Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
waynesboro
I was looking for suggestions on medical alert systems. My mother in law has Bulbar onset and can no longer speak. I am looking for any devices that maybe one of you all use in case of emergency. We thought we had a process down but found out today it isn't really going to work.

Josie ... I can't speak either, and use a commercial service with a button you push. They are supposed to ask me only yes or no questions, but nobody can tell if I am saying yes or no either, so that doesn't really help. They first respond with their electronic system (they can communicate if I am lying on the floor away from the phone, etc.), then telephone me to confirm it, and if I don't answer or they can't understand, they call 911. I've pushed the button twice in the last couple of months, and it works great.

I think they all use basically the same system ... they outsource the calls to answering services. They put a lock box on my front door with a key in it, and they give the combination to the responders.

I went online and Googled a number of different comanies, then picked the cheapest one that had a local office.

I also have a TTY machine, which the deaf use. It's a regular phone with a keyboard, and all emergency services have TTY access where they can type answers back. It's an expensive device; ALSA loans it to me from their loaner closet. Other people can use it as a regular phone. You just push a button to use it for text messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back