11/2004
Country
US
State
nc
City
beaufort
:?:

Hello – I think I’m coughing because of saliva and I’m taking Amitriptyline 25 mg at lunch and 50 mg at bedtime. Is there a natural remedy for this symptom?

Thanks
Laura

Have a great weekend

I don't have any suggestions for you but I just had to jump in here and say how nice it is to see you post!

Hey Laura,

I am currently using eye drops. They work great. I have the same problem, if I wait too long or am too lazy , I start coughing and clearing my throat constantly.

1% atropine solution. I dont know if you can get them OTC there . I had to get the doc to write a script for them.

Glen

That's what I use Glen , better than the patches for me , except this weekend as my script isn't ready so I'm drowning in drool , and soaking my clothes ....annoying symptom this one isn't it ! I need someone to follow me round with a mop ...lol

Oh gawd yes.

A while back I posted a pick of one of the aliens drooling saliva. I always get a giggle when I brush my teeth ... I can do the same .

There was a commercial on TV about sneezing and how it spreads germs showing the fine mist . Well , have you sneezed lately ? I can paint a wall. I go for the paper towel as kleenex isn't strong enough.

:lol:

I know this is a silly question but eye drops for saliva? Do you put them in your eyes or what?

Laura ... there are natural remedies for thick saliva, but I don't know of any for "too much." My drool problem is mainly from no lip seal, so any and all liquids just dribble out.

The "natural" remedy for thick saliva is meat tenderizer. Don't laugh. (Oh, go ahead and laugh!) It's an enzyme (sp?) of some sort ... pineapple? ... and thins secretions (as well as tenderizing your tongue, probably). Big problem is, I can't find it anywhere in stores any more.

You can also try OTC cold remedies, like Musinex. The problem with that is that it comes in humongous pills and says "do not crush." I've looked for liquid forms, but haven't found any.

Glen's suggestion for eye drops sounds like the best bet so far.

Hey Marianne,

I am sorry, I should have explained it better. Up to 4 drops up to 4 times a day under your tongue.

Glen

You can also try OTC cold remedies, like Musinex. The problem with that is that it comes in humongous pills and says "do not crush." I've looked for liquid forms, but haven't found any.

My Doc said Robitussin is basikly a liquid form for Mucinex. I use it sometimes, and it seems to help. Robinul works the best for me.

Thanks Glen for the information, I know the old song about all those bones being connected to one another but couldn't figure out the eyes and saliva !

i have heard rock salt under the tongue and tomato juice are good for excess saliva... i wish i could cite some sources but i just remember hearing that somewhere. probably would need a little more investigation.

Glen & Tich1

I am so glad to see your posts. Mark has just been prescribed the eye drops after struggling with the patches.

I was particularly interested in your comment that if you don't use you start coughing and clearing your throat as this is one of the problems Mark has that drives him mad.

We hope to pick up the drops tomorrow - fingers crossed they work for Mark.

RACHEL

Thanks everyone and Joel I'm glad you're on here. I asked my doctor and his response was

I have heard patients say they get good results from papaya extract/papaya juice. Try this and let me know if it helps.

l will try it and let everyone know

Laura

I found this article after l bought papaya and it works

SALIVA and ALS
by Kate Bednarz

Occasionally people with ALS report symptoms of thick, mucus-like saliva or excessive production of saliva that results in drooling. The cause is generally due to difficulty swallowing and dehydration. Treatment is important since patients may feel uncomfortable participating is social activities and therefore do not enjoy the time with their friends and family. The following interventions may help patients ease the difficulty of excess saliva:

Mucus:

Increased fluid: Intake-fluids will help dilute the thick saliva so that it is easier to manage. If thin liquids are difficult to swallow, thicker fluids, such as milk shakes or smoothies, can provide necessary hydration needs.
Papain, an enzyme that is found in fruit of the papaya plant, can assist in breaking down the protein element of saliva. Most health food stores sell papain in tablet form. Papain is also found in papaya nectar drinks, such as the Goya juices. These nectars are naturally thicker and more appropriate for those who have difficulty swallowing pills or thin liquids.
To break up thick mucus try rubbing meat tenderizer inside the mouth.
Medication: an easy remedy to try is over the counter Robitussin to help reduce thick saliva. Prescription medications are also used, including guaifenesin or a nebulizer treatment with albuterol.
Drooling:
Medication: glycopyrrolate, amitriptyline, atropine, and scopolamine patch can be used to treat drooling.
Botulinum Toxin: injecting the toxin into the salivary glands can help reduce the production of saliva.
Mechanical Management: a suction machine with a Yankauer tip can be used to clear the mouth of excessive secretions. The machine is ordered through a durable medical equipment (DME) company.

Although research has not shown a direct link between dairy product consumption and increased mucus production; many patients feel that their symptoms worsen when they drink Ensure or milk. In this situation it might be beneficial to switch to a juice-based supplement such as Enlive (Ross product) or Boost Breeze (Novartis product) to increase calories in the diet. For more information please contact the Eleanor and Lou Gehrig MDA/ALS Center’s nutritionist Kate Bednarz at 212- 305-1677

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello , it's interesting to read that others are bothered by throat clearing , I find I do that a lot , nothing I can do to stop it either .
I also have thick stringy saliva drool . I take as much water via my PEG as I can , and I'm peg feeds of Ensure Plus and Ensure Plus Fibre .
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back