Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
Yes, it is all about money. It was reported on our local news, that drugs companies have been selling grugs overseas for bigger profits. The drugs being sold are many, including cancer drugs and Rilutec. My pharmacy has now told me, despite days of phone calls, that he cannot make up my latest prescription. Apparently, the govermnent have sent letters out to the drugs companies..whatever good that does.. So, if you can, top up.

Interesting Jennifer , Boots still haven't filled my last script , saying there's a delay in getting them . I was , however , given a box on discharg from hospital recently so I'm not short yet .

What is going on, I wonder?

Here in the US, the pharmacy could not fill my husband's pain med prescription in August, saying there would be none available from the manufacturer until September. They tried calling several other outlets in their chain to get some, but nobody had any left. Fortunately, I throw no meds out until they are expired ... doctors keep switching meds and dosages back and forth ... and I had enough on hand to tide him over.

They can't be making bigger profits anywhere than in the US. I wonder if they cut back manufacturing costs to "cook the books" for a September fiscal year end. Sounds like something very fishy is going on.

Just want to make sure that this isn't due to reported adverse effects, but due to drug shortage. Correct?

As far as our US pharmacy goes, it had nothing to do with any problems with the drug itself. They just ran out and so did others in the chain, and the manufacturer said there would be none available until September.

I've never heard of any manufacturer stopping production like that.

I wonder if all the drugs that are not available are from the same manufacturer?

Hey Jennifer,

I found this link on the net which asks the pharmacies to contact Aventis if needed.

Emergency Order Arrangements for riluzole (Rilutek?) - NeLM

NeLM news service
Emergency Order Arrangements for riluzole (Rilutek™)

Source: PSNC

Date published: 02/09/2009 16:02
Summary
by: Sheetal Ladva

Following recent supply problems with riluzole (Rilutek™), Sanofi Aventis have chosen to distribute Rilutek through three distributors; AAH, Alliance Healthcare and Phoenix.

If any problems are experienced in obtaining Rilutek, pharmacies should contact Sanofi Aventis directly on 0800 854 430 to request an emergency supply.

Just want to make sure that this isn't due to reported adverse effects, but due to drug shortage. Correct?

In the UK it is definately money related as the news report and my pharmacist confirmed it is across a range of drugs. My pharmacist was calling 5 people yesterday to apologise and explain. I am the only one he supplies with Rilutec.

Shortage on drugs?

If it is so bad now, I wonder what it will be like under the NEW health care plan?

Interesting news.

I had to get a prescription filled a couple of weeks ago and all the pharmacies were having difficulties sourcing it. It took ten days for my pharmacist to provide it and she commented on how much trouble she had getting hold of it.

Luckily for me I got 2 months supply and she has already ordered up the next lot

Michael

just received notification from build-uk als/mnd uk forum...that all sorts of official bodies are getting involved with the shortages. they had a meeting on Aug 20th ..mnd assoc, dept of health, representative bodies of pharmacists. They are taking it very seriously.

I wonder if this is happening in other countries, too. It sounds very suspect.

I just got my Rilutek prescription filled today so no problem here in Canada. My pills are stamped RPR 202, is that the same as others?

Same here , RPR 202 .

I used to give the pharmacy a weeks notice before I ran out. Now they are keeping it in stock.

Glen

RPR202 here as well.I get 3month supply at a time it is cheaper for us that way.

What action does Rilutec have. We are still battling to even get anything perscribed for Ed ,other than an anti anxiety medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back