Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
And a suction machine, and a cough-assist, a nebulizer, 02 tanks, and a 02 machine! Gads! I love Medicare.

woohoo!

Good for you!

Too bad that any of us have to have any of that crap but I'm glad that you got it anyway!

Is congratulations appropriate?! :)

I'm curious about the suction machine and cough assist. I asked my dad's speech therapist yesterday about those two devices and she said the suction machines were ineffective because they can't reach the muccus in the throat, and she had no experience with a cough assist. I'm interested to know your experience with these devices. I'll push for them if I hear positive feedback!

Glad you got what you need PDaddy! Now you just need some nice little stickers to decorate your machines with. Fittingly, my son chose a Darth Vader sticker for my husband's BiPap!

Lisa -does your dad go to an ALS Clinic. I would think they should be very experiences with all of these devices. The suction machine is helpful with "excessive" saliva and can be very helpful. The respiratory people should be able to tell you about the cough assist. My husband was told to use his twice a day and as needed. He feels much better when he does use it. It helps expand the lungs and get any gunk out.

Woo Hoo PDaddy, you are hooked up! Medicare Rocks, my mom's other insurance wouldn't pay for the cough assist claiming she didn't need it so we did out of pocket for it until her Medicare kicked in.

Lisa, My mom's suction machine was vital! She used it constantly. Cough Assist was hard for us to use but we were glad we had it when we needed it. The cough assist can bring up what is stuck in the throat, but the suction machine can get pretty far back there too especially since many PALS don't have a gag reflex. Mom was on several meds to thin secretions which helped prevent thick phlem from getting stuck in her throat, but we still needed to suction saliva and drainage all the time. You might mention to the speech therapist that the suction machine does work for PALS I don't think it's the best advice to tell people they are ineffective.

PDaddy ... so glad you got the essential equipment! Three more cheers for Medicare !

That is GREAT!

I am a bit concerned about the O2. Please read one of my Blogs on O2 use for PALS.

Hey Pdaddy!

Glad you got the needed gizmos! If it were me, it would be tinker time!

Zaphoon

Aloha - glad you got your air supplies. My medicare doesn't start untill 11/09 - it's good to know they covered it!

I've noticed over the past 6 months that my progression seems to follow yours. How did your breathing problems start?

My speech is going, I have excess saliva, not the thick stuff yet, and just beginning swallowing issues.

mahea

Good for you PDaddy! Medicare turned me down, didn't work recently enough. As nurse at ALS clinic said too bad I wasn't a criminal and incarcerated then I would be eligible for everything!

I did get my Bi-Pap yesterday. I found a company that will let me rent to own and apply my $750 yearly insurance for durable goods. I am very happy with them

I was fitted yesterday and slept with it last night. The mask was too tight, it hurt, but I feel more rested this morning!

PDaddy
I am glad you got the equipment you needed.

Lisa
Talking with respiratory therapy at the ALS clinic should answer your questions. I also was helped tremendously by a local RT at an outpatient pulmonary program. Medicare covers an outpatient pulm consult with a therapist. My Dads Pulm Doc recommended by the ALS Neuro Doc had not used a cough machine for an ALS patient and I spoke with about 6 RTs that had never heard of it so getting information to get my Dad a cough machine required some digging for me. After the pulm consult my Dad's Pulm Doc signed the letter of med nec for Medicare and it was approved.

MarianneS
Keep working with that mask. It should not hurt. There are many choices and you may need to try multiple until you find the right fit. The DME company that delivered it needs to come back and see you to make adjustments or try a different mask or brand.

Dana

Thanks Dana,
I have a call into the company. Holiday week-end so I hope to hear back today. I've also been reading here and other places online about various masks.

i got mine last week...hate it...lol
I can't seem to sleep, it wakes me up and I eventually take it off at about 1am. My RT will be coming back in two weeks, ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back