Not open for further replies.

thelma313

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
My mom posted this in the new members thread but I thought it would be more appropriate to start a new one.

Here is what she wrote:

Alida1004:
Hi everyone,
What a day! Angelo had an appointment with the speech therapist and neurologist today.
Basically no drastic changes were found: the speech therapist checked his swallowing, and since May, it’s pretty much the same; which is good news. She recommended he continues to eat pureed food, drink honey consistency juice. The neurologist found that he looked healthy and was happy that he gained some weight. His upper body is still pretty strong, however his right leg has weakened somewhat. In May he was still going up the stairs. Now I use the “Scalamobil” an electric wheel chair which I operate. It requires one to be strong and fit to use it, but so far so good. While we were at our appointment, workers came in and laid the new bamboo flooring in the family room and bedroom, by the time we got home, it was all done. We are really happy that the carpet is gone as it will be much easier for Angelo to get around.
Can’t wait until the roll-in shower will be done – it seems it won’t happen before mid October (at worse) sooner at best!
The neurologist prescribed orthotics for his hands (he will be wearing them at night).. He often gets cramps and hopefully these will give him some relief.
All in all, I am grateful for this day, even though it was tiring it was a GOOD day.
All the best to all of you.
Alida

P.S. I have seen my mom use the Scalamobil and it is really cool! It's amazing technology and makes it relatively easy for PALS to have access to places that you might not think are even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing the info, you are such a helpful and kind member, and we all appreciate that. So glad your father did as well as he did at this appt.. We will all keep praying that he remains as well as possible. I love Bamboo floor, I have the sample in my car, and may be going that routel. We have few rooms that do not have hardwood floor, and we would like to maybe put bamboo in those. Always trying to keep ahead of the illness, sounds like you guys do that well. Get some rest.

I'm very happy to hear your Dad is doing so well. My family and I will keep you all in our prayers. Great news.

Hello Rosella, Alida and Angelo! I am glad that you are all doing well and keeping strong. I am glad that Angelo's breathing and weight are doing good and I think that the Scalamobile is fantastic. I know what you mean about clinic days being tiring but as long as there is good news (or at least no bad news) they are really worth it. Congratulations on your new floor, most of our house is hardwood and we are talking about getting rid of the carpet in the bedrooms too.

BTW Rosella, congratulations on your "senior member" status.

Barry

Rosella, that really is a good news post on many fronts. The best is that your dad is progressing slowly and will probably be around to pester you for a long time.

John

Yes I want to be pestered!

The bamboo floor is gorgeous and sustainable so very environmentally friendly. I'm so proud of my cute little parents. :)

Thanks Everyone for your kinds words and support. I love being a "senior!"

Could you tell me a little of what the bamboo is like. I installed maple hardwood in half my house 2 years ago, and, since I don't seem to be going anywhere soon, I plan to finish the rest of the house. Do you prefer the bamboo to hardwood? Do you think mixing the two floorings would look strange? The bedrooms and back hallway are now hardwood. Do you charge for your interior design services?

The bamboo will not warp or shrink so my parents opted for it since the family room and their new bedroom is in a semi-basement. The wood is engineered into planks and looks very attractive. Also be careful that the bamboo is certified toxin-free. It's a little pricier but not much more. It's also more reasonably priced than hardwoods and you're doing something positive for the environment, since bamboo is a fast growing crop and no trees are being cut down.

As far as mixing the two floors, if they are in different rooms I wouldn't worry as long as you choose a colour that blends harmoniously with your maple.

I don't charge anything for my interior design tips and I am very good! :wink:

Alida-

Your appointments with s/p & neuro. are encouraging; and I know that is some relief for you! Hope Angelo was pleased as well.

I know when we (PALS & CALS) see some increase in weakness, we worry about the progression. I guess we hold everything under a microscope, so to speak, scrutinizing every little thing. So, it is reassuring when the clinical shows no progression or only slight progression. I hope the hand orthotics help Angelo's cramps.

How nice for you to come home & have your new floors! What good planning that was; did a certain daughter have anything to do with that?!?

And, I'm impressed with the scalamobile! All your gym time is paying off- you must be in good shape! Lucky Angelo!

Rosella I am so happy to hear your Dad's clinic appt was so positive.

I have never seen a scalamobile., what a nifty thing to help with stairs.

A senior member and free interior design tips - impressive!

Rosella,
I'm so glad that your dad's appt. turned out with good news. Glad to hear about their flooring. I have bamboo in my house. All the rooms except the bathrooms. 100 times stronger than oak.Am putting pictures in album. Can get different kinds and colors. Mine is strand, in wheat.
Colleen

Mare,
Yes, in fact I am little too observant at times!
I was very apprehensive before going to the appointment, but thank God, it turned out to be OK.
The floors being laid yesterday was just a happy coincidence! Of course Rosella has been helping me with picking colors and accessorizing, she really is a great help and such a comfort and joy to have her as a daughter. (Obviously, I can’t say anything else, she does participate in the forums!)
Our family room was painted today and the bedroom will be done tomorrow. Friday at the end of the day, the contractor and some of his men will be coming to move everything back. Hopefully, by next week I will be able to have everything straightened out.
Great opportunity to do some serious “sorting” and getting rid of all the extra stuff, we tend to accumulate!

Alida, what colors did you paint? It's amazing the things we collect over the years, isn't it? I didn't move for 17 years and then moved again 5 years later. Still have tons of things in boxes downstairs! I find though that after I toss something I go looking for it within the year!:p

The floors being laid yesterday was just a happy coincidence! Of course Rosella has been helping me with picking colors and accessorizing, she really is a great help and such a comfort and joy to have her as a daughter. (Obviously, I can’t say anything else, she does participate in the forums!)

Are you kidding ? TELL US MORE !

I have to admit , she is a person to be proud of.

Glen

Aw shucks, Glen!

Colleen, we went with Benjamin Moore paint. In the family room the walls are Feather Gray with Oxford White trim and in the bedroom the walls are Vanilla Milkshake. I can't wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back