Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
IA
City
MIDWEST USA
My husband was diagnosed w/FTD with associative PSP and possible MND. He has progressed that it is clearly MND/ALS. The bipap discussion was interesting as he has just been put on a bipap but is having alot of problems... it causes him to yawn excessively and he says at times he can't breathe. I am beginning to think it is not going to be beneficial...:(

BiPap is timed breathing. If the number of times per minute setting is off from what he normally does, he will fight the machine. I just had my first reading from my machine and I was fighting the machine 96% of the time. They have adjusted and its easier.

If your husband has never used a breathing device before , they can be a biatch at first. Just keep at it , try to work with the machine. If he waits too long to breathe , it will try to force a breathe in.

Glen

Once again I am glad I live where I do. We were trained and encouraged to adjust settings until we arrived at what was comfortable. It took a few nights to get them right and I did not have to suffer while waiting for an RT to show up and make the necessary adjustments. I found there was a big difference between using the bipap for a few minutes and using it all night. The settings needed to be very different.

Well I am hoping an adjustment will work... we see Pulmonogist next week. You are fortunate that you can adjust it yourself Joel... ours is more or less "locked" so we can't. I did increase the ramp time hoping that would help but not so....

Thanks for insight, I am new to this Blog but am hoping it will help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back