Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
San Antonio
If anyone can answer my question it would be much appreciated. My 51 year-old brother was recently diagnosed with ALS. He's had symptoms (facilations) for about 3 years and in the past 8 months has dropped weight and muscle mass in his arms and legs. He is still ambulatory but his real problem right now is breathing. His neurologist has told him that it appears his ALS started in his trunk muscles as opposed to his extremities. He is currently using BiPap at night and some during the day. My understanding is that usually breathing is the last thing to go. Is the fact that his breathing seems to be affected first a particularly ominous sign and what should we expect with regard to its deterioration? I realize there are no firm answers but has anyone else been through this type of progression? I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

I needed a Bipap in Jan 05. Didn't have to go into a power chair until Mar. 07. My breathing was really crappy. I can still feed myself and hold a glass of wine. As you know, we're all different but that's my story.

AL.

Thank you. That both helps and makes me feel better.

I recall hearing of one PALS who pushed a lawnmower around while hooked up to a vent. Don't know of its veracity but it makes the point that each case is unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back