10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
Don't be silly now. ;)

I am talking about wheelchair equipped vans.

I am thinking that a van with a side power ramp is better than a side power lift .

I do not like a rear lift.

Now , van owners , give me some feedback and opinions before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance
Glen

Andy had a side entry. It was a power lift. He liked being parallel to the ground as opposed to having to drive up a ramp. It was a big chevy van, and a ramp would have been too steep anyway. 1998 Express. Long and big. He had it modified for wheelchairs by a local company. He chose this van because he could have the floor lowered, therefore enabling him to see out the windows. And be my backseat driver. Plus there was still a back seat for the kids in addition to the passenger seat, of course. It also had a second set of temp controls for where he was sitting. We recently regretted not getting him a moon roof or something similar. How cool that would have been. We had a lotta adventures in that van. :) I seem to recall that he went to the wheelchair van people first, just to do some research on what van they would recommend for mods and why. Happy hunting...

If you don't like a rear entry then that disqualifies my opinion. LOL.

I've driven a side-entry for three years and am very happy with it. I felt the rear-entry had many disadvantages: awkward parking most times, the entire rear of the vehicle is wasted except for the chair. I've never seen one in person but it seems like it would be hard for the person in the chair or scooter to drive. The one advantage is that they are cheaper than the side entry. I commute to work in mine, shop, use it to transport big awkward items and have used it to travel over much of North America. The other night I was getting aboard in the parking lot of a restaurant. A young waiter was out having a smoke and had obviously never seen one before. He looked on admiringly as the ramp deployed and called out "Cool man. That would be great for stealing bbqs". You couldn't do that as nearly as easily with a rear-entry.

Mine too. Biggest problem with my rear entry is not being able to hear driver without raising voices. Mine has 4 captain chairs plus me. Side entry you need big spaces. Park rear entry most anywhere.

AL.

Each style of van has parking disadvantages. As Al points out, a side entry needs a wide space or a sidewalk to unload on. In theory, disabled parking spots are large enough to deploy a ramp but many here are not up to specs. In the USA, I've found the parking spaces are better designed. They often are paired and share a common ramp deployment zone. In my city, much parking is parallel parking along street sides. A rear entry would not work for that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pam , I dont think I need a lowered floor as I will be the only driver.
Joel, Thank You for keeping your words about rear entry clean. Abbotsford EH !
John1, Do you have a lift or ramp ? I will be traveling to work each day , and I already have my "Smurf" parking with room on all sides.
Al, I do not think parking will be an issue. Most of the spots I have seen have a lot of room (so far). I also have been used to parking in the far end of parking lots because of my old truck , or a nice hotrod car.

We have a side enty lift van. We LOVE it...there are some dissadvantages though. We can't always get a handicapped parking space that will allow us to exit the van from the spot so it can be difficult esp if it is just me with Mom. But it sure beats the ford focus...lol!

Glen, I have a ramp. It just seems so much faster and easier than messing with a lift but then I've never used a lift. Aside from stealing bbqs, a ramp is handy for grocery shopping. An able bodied person can just wheel the grocery cart aboard and unload right onto the back seat.

I didn't understand your comment to Pam about not needing a lowered floor. As far as I know, all the minivan ramp conversions lower the floor.

John

We are looking at this Carony Wheelchair System - Video

we have ordered the seat and may order the wheels later. One plus, is that it can be fitted to almost any car/van so we dont have to change our vehicle, plus you can put the original seat back in, once the special seat is not required. I also get to sit alongside my husband, where I have always sat.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pam , I dont think I need a lowered floor as I will be the only driver.

Glen, there will come a time when you might not be able to drive anymore, but will still want to go places. At least that was Andys thinking back when he had first gotten the van and could still drive....This is just food for thought..xo

we have ordered the seat and may order the wheels later. One plus, is that it can be fitted to almost any car/van so we dont have to change our vehicle, plus you can put the original seat back in, once the special seat is not required. I also get to sit alongside my husband, where I have always sat.

This is the one I covet but we were quoted $20,000 - what price were you given? Also, please let us know how it works and if you like it, etc. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
We are paying £1700 for the seat fitted...dont know what that is in canadian dollars. Have not asked how much for the wheels yet. But for us it is better than buying a new vehicle, which we dont want. We have tried the seat in a car at the company who are fitting it. It was very comfortable, dont know how long for though! There are lots of bits you can buy for added comfort later...lumbar support, side cushions etc. It is being fitted first week of September, so will report later. Will also get a price on the wheels!

That is much better than what I was quoted. It translates to $2890.00 CDN.That is a far cry from the $20,000.00 we were told.

I didn't understand your comment to Pam about not needing a lowered floor. As far as I know, all the minivan ramp conversions lower the floor.

John

Hey John,

When I can no longer drive , the van will be resold. Wanda does not drive.
So , looking out the side windows is not an issue for me.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back