Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
My Dad was admitted to the hospital last Wed night. He had a coughing spell that caused him to vomit and he apparently aspirated at the time. He had a fever within 2 hrs of the episode. We called the doc and he said to send him to the ER. The chest X-ray indicated early pneumonia. The doc noted that this would be easy for the average person to manage but for PALS any pneumonia is severe.

After 2 nights in ICU with treatment for pneumonia, his temp went down and color came back and he was moved to a step down unit. He looked good and we were working toward getting him stronger to come home. His voice was even much improved. Yesterday however, he looked uncomfortable and was unable to be weaned from 5 Liters of oxygen. He is essentially on this peak of potential to recover or potential to decline. This has thrown us all for a loop as his FVC was 51% just a couple of weeks ago.

As a family, we have been talking about what Dad's wishes are in regards to a trach and ventilator. He is agreeable to a trach if it is appropriate for aggressive pulmonary hygiene. He would be agreeable to a ventilator if it was short term but the docs have said that if he is put on a ventilator, it is unlikely he will be able to come off. Dad made his final decision and he does not wish to be ventilator dependent. He plans to tell the doctors today.

I am very hopeful that we caught the pneumonia early and with continued aggressive treatment he will beat this episode and come home. Prior to this episode, he was doing so well considering his ALS. This is happening too fast.

Dad is so strong. He continues to amaze me. He still has his sense of humor. When the well of emotion gets too deep he throws out some comical shrug, funny face or word that makes us all giggle. I know that as difficult as this is that I have so much of him inside my heart that he will always be with me.

Please send some virtual deep breathing and strong cough vibes Dad's way. If your inclined to prayer, those would also be welcomed.

Thanks for listening.
Dana

Oh Dana, I am praying for you, your family, and the strength you need to continue on your journey with your dad. Please let him and the rest of your family know that we are all here sending good thoughts for continued strength in the days to come. Blessings, Pam

My prayers are with you and your Dad, hope today is a better day. Peace be with you.

Dana,

Your dad is not the only one in your family with an amazing attitude! He's got so much going for him with the support and love that you demonstrate for him.

I hope he does much better today,and you all are able to make the best decisions for him as far as what steps to take next.

((hugs!))

Dana-

I'm so sorry to hear this abour your Dad. I will certainly keep him in my prayers.

I am so inspired by your whole family talking with your Dad & about his wishes. Such strength shown by all!

Mare
p.s.- I'm breathing & I'm coughing- sending your way!

Dana,

I am sending you a virtual hug full of energy , that you can pass on to your dad. Once done , tell him its time to quit fraternizing with the nurses and to get up and chase one.

Glen

Oh Dana, I am really sorry to hear this news about your dad. My heart is with you, as I really relate you how you are feeling, being the fellow daughter of a brave and funny pALS. Our dads sound so much alike what with the goofy smiles and shrugs. I am sending giant virtual hugs your way. Tell your dad that I am really pulling for him. I'll tell you one thing though, he is definitely one lucky lucky guy to have you on his side!

((((HUGS))))

Dana,

Very sorry to hear of this turn of events for your dad! Do they have him on BiPAP with the oxygen?

Here's to hoping he recovers completely from the pneumonia and is able to get out of that hospital soon!

Sending prayers y'alls way!

I am sorry about your dad! I am also equally sorry he has decided against a trache and vent as they are wonderful.

Dana, sorry about your dad's hospital stay. I hope that he gets well soon. I am doing some deep breathing exercises for him.

So sorry to hear of your father's struggles. Hope he will get better. Glad to hear you are discussing and listening to his wants.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and well wishes. Today was a better day!

Dad has pneumonia in both his lungs but the doc said clinically he looks better than his X-ray. Doc explained that a chest x-ray is really a picture of yesterday - someone explain that to me please - but it was good news so I am happy with the explanation. He was put on a second IV abx. His oxygen has been reduced to 3 liters today rather than previous discussion of increasing the bipap time (currently 11p-7a). Yesterday they held his tube feeds because they were afraid he was aspirating them so I was waiting patiently by the bed today to address this because as we all know every single calorie counts. Fortunately the doc had already decided to restart the tube feeds today so I did not have to go all Mafia daughter wild.

So we are definitely going in the right direction. I am so very relieved. Thanks again for all the positive energy, prayers and virtual deep breathing!
Dana

glad things are better today i will still pray for your dad to keep getting stronger and a cure is to be around the corner

Cool! Hope everything continues on a positive note!

Yay! I hope your dad continues to improve steadily. Tell him I am rooting for him!
Take good care of yourself too, Dana... you are in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back