Loved one DX
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Hello,

My father was recently diagnosed with ALS which was shocking at first but I have come to accept it and praying for a cure. I would appreciate any advice from anyone with ALS or with a parent with ALS on how to help my family cope.

Thank you!

We have a ton of Cals on here, and have some of the nicest children of PALS, some of the kindest souls around. We welcome you here, put it this way we are an OPEN Group..:grin::grin::grin:

Hi Amir,

Welcome to the forum but I am so sorry for the reason you need to be here. My father also has ALS and I know how you feel. We are not in this alone. I wish I could tell you my family has the coping part all figured out but we don't. We just take it one day at a time and love each other. The PALS and CALS on this forum are great and full of valuable information and support. Please feel free to ask questions or just talk.

Dana

Hi, I too, am so sorry that you have to be here. My Mom was diagnosed a year ago. She lives with my husband and I now...she and my dad. This is the absolute best place to get stories, ideas, advise or just an ear to listen. Ask questions....the people on here are so loving and caring. We are all going through it in one way or another.
Laura

Hi Amir
My father also has ALS. He is now in his third year since his diagnosis. Coping is different for everyone. I use this forum when times get real rough. I also raise money for the ALS Association for their annual Walk to Defeat ALS. I know in my heart I cannot cure my father, but I have to feel like I'm contributing to making a difference. Keep in touch with your local ALS chapter. They have been an incredible support for my father and my family. Take care of your self during this trying time. dadspooh

Hey Amir,

Welcome to the forums. Have you or your family been in contact the the local ALS center yet ? If not , look into this as they have people that will help your family in planning for the future. Ya it sucks to read it , but once you have a game plan , it feels better.

Feel free to ask any questions here , we are not doctors , but there is tons of experience here and someone always has a good idea or two.

Glen

Hi Amir, welcome to the forum and I am also sorry that you had to come looking for us. My Dad has ALS too. He was diagnosed a year ago this month and it was a complete shock at first so I know just how you feel. I'm relieved for you that the shock has worn off somewhat. You sound like someone with a very positive outlook which will serve you very well. My best advice to you is to stay as positive as you can. Get the support you need (this forum is a good start) and know that everyone with ALS progresses differently so there is no telling right now how your Dad will progress. Try to live in the present and not focus on the future. Of course it's a good idea to be prepared for what's next but treasure each day that you have with your Dad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back