Diagnosis
07/0009
Country
US
State
XXX
City
XXX
I was just wondering if any of PALS have experienced GERD (esophageal reflux).
I never had this before and just recently started with an awful heartburn, which is not even responding to medication(Nexium).
THx, Cookie

I don't know if I have esophageal reflux, but I have recently had very rude burps that go on for ever.Last evening 5hrs after supper I coughed and had second helpings of my supper. (piece of chewed pork chop)No heartburn.

I had a lot of really bad heartburn before I was sick, even had surgery for it. They could never figure out what it was from, I now think maybe muscle weakening, who knows?

I do not have a diagnosed, but I have really bad GERD that did not respond to nexium I tried Prilosec and my heartburn went way, they have different ingredients, it worth a shot to give it a try, Margaret

Oh yes, I do have this and even choke and aspirate some of it sometimes. I take Losec 20mg twice a day for it.
Patsy

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I'll try switching to Prilosec.
Still wonder if GERD/heartburn is a part of ALS; not sure if muscles of lower esophageal sphincter could be weakened by ALS.
Cookie

Here is a different spin for you.

With all of the saliva , and post nasal drip that getting thinker , going into my stomach , it just sits in there. Doesn't get digested , doesn't get passed through.

I have been sick (barfed) twice in the last couple of weeks , and its all bial . Its gross. This will give me increasing levels of heartburn , until I get rid of it. I take Losec for reflux , and Gaviscon tablets. They dont help. Once I bring it up , a gaviscon will calm my tummy down.

I am looking for something to get rid of , or break up that "snot" before I have gross out the family. I dont puke quietly.

Glen

Glen, have you thought of a suctioning wand? I don't know if it can help with post nasal drip, but it certainly cleans out saliva when it starts pooling. You can get rid of a lot of gunk.

Glen,
Are you taking Mucinex? It helps to thin mucus.

Glen,
I am going to one up you, I had the surgery on my esophagus for heart-burn several years before the MND stuff. Well a side effect of this surgery is the inability to vomit. So now I have all of this gunk in my throat and stomach and all I do is drive heave. Ok so imagine just looking over and seeing me drive heave and when my family see's this they both have super gag reflexes, son inherited from dad, well then they both vomit.
so now you have two vomiter's and one dry heaving person.. I know you will apreciate that.. LOL...

Damn Hoping , you really know how to party .

Cookie, no , I am not taking anything for it. Except a couple of glasses of warm water when "its time to wait no longer"

Beth, the problem is that no much pools , I spit out what I can , but the rest just slides on in to collect in the tummy.

Hmm , I wonder , with a PEG , could you remove GUNK from your tummy ? Maybe the tube is to narrow .

There were a couple of mentions about carbonated drinks ... Canada Dry Gingerale works great.

Glen,
I just exchanged emails with PALS I met at my neuro clinic.
It seems that he is having a problem very similar to yours. His primary MD gave him medication called "Trikof-D". From what I understand it contains Guafenesin and Dextromethorphan.
Cookie

The tube is too narrow for the suctioning wand I have, but there might be other ways ...

When you open the plug on the end of the feeding tube and undo the clamp in the middle, if you don't pour liquid in right away, the tube will begin to suction out the stomach contents. (There are a few things we don't mention in connection with the feeding tube.:lol:) I don't know how far it would go with that, because I always pour water in right away to flush the tube and reverse the flow INTO the stomach.

It's a thought. A disgusting one, but a thought nonetheless. Better than the dry heaves.

I have been told by the dietitian at the ALS clinic a couple of times that if I am feeling nauseous I can open up the tube and let whatever come out. A disgusting thought but then so is barfing! She said go ahead if it makes you feel better, just flush the tube with water after. And I have had a couple of not-so-nice episodes with the cap coming open at inopportune times and as there is no clamp on my tube believe me everything comes right out, no suction required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back