Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Ca
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
ok...so...long story short...brother diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I ordered and read a book called "Eric is Winning". It's an als victim healing himself through nutrition and natural treatments. He has had it for over 15 years.

Has anyone read this and/or followed his program? I would love some feedback on this. I believe this man is right, and that ALS is a type of poisoning of heavy metals.

...gotta go do some more research now...can't give up hope...there really isn't much time is there?

God Bless the fighters...

Hello,

Welcome to the site. I am sorry for your brother.

Please, do not pay another cent for remedies, cures, or any other information regarding ALS. Keep your money , you will need it for other things. My sister bought that book for me. The most you can get from that book is plain common sense. Yes , he is winning, all the way to the bank. There will be many ways on the internet to spend your money. Just Don't.

Everyone has a different beginning , rate of progression with this damned disease. Some are fast , some are slow.

This forum is probably the best place, besides the ALS team that he will be seeing, for information. The people here , both caregivers and people with the disease , have a wealth of experiences , and will share opinions trying to help people through their issues.

Stick around , ask your questions , you will have many.

Does your brother also live in Ottawa ?
Have you been to the ALS Rehab center yet ?

I also attend the ALS rehab center in Ottawa.

Glen

Thanks so much for your reply Glen. I've been asked by one of the moderators on this site NOT to post anything more about this.... This bothers me something terrible and for this reason, will no longer post anything on this site. Apparently, I've come to the wrong place to get help...

I will be going to the rehab centre to find some answers.

My brother is in Hamilton.

Glen, you are welcome to call me or drop by my workplace so I can make arrangements to buy you lunch....would love to talk to you. Hell, I'll even fix your cell phone for free if you can shed some light on this.

Rick Bechamp
Cell Phone Technician
First Comm Inc.
280 Catherine St.
Ottawa, Ontario
K1R 5T3

I plan to take the lead...not to follow the failures and skepticisms of others

Rick,when you have fought the anger you are feeling which is very natural, and I know some of my family members felt this a month ago,come back to this site with any questions on how we might help you.The pals on this site especially the seniors have so much heart and the moderators are great protectors of rumours and false hope.Take care.

Rick, I know exactly how you feel. When my Dad was diagnosed a year ago, my Mom came across that book on a web site and she ordered it immediately. I ordered it too. I read it from cover to cover in 2 days. My Dad followed the regime. It cost $1500 per month... he believed it was helping him at first. My father's ALS continued to progress ( he lost his speech, ability to walk etc) and swallowing all the natural supplements and vitamin pills eventually became impossible. Event he smoothies became a huge chore. Six months into it, he said he wanted to stop taking all this "junk" (his words not mine.) He came to realize it did not work for him. (Btw, my Dad has no amalgams.)

You must do what you think is best for your brother and if you want to give Eric's program a go, then by all means go for it but we here know no one who has benefited the way Eric himself has, by his program. Nutrition is important. No one is disputing that but support is equally important and no one wants to see you leave the forum feeling hurt and unsupported. This is an amazing place with kind compassionate people here to help you and answer your questions. We're sorry you don't like the answer to your first question but if you give this forum a chance you won't regret it.

I wish you and your brother all the best, Rick. Please know that you are not alone and that we have all felt that pain of learning that diagnosis. It seems hopeless but it's not. There are many things you can do to fight ALS. The most important (which Eric agrees) is having a positive mental attitude.

Good luck and be well!

Hello Rick, Welcome to the forum and very sorry about your brother.

I just want to say that this forum is one of the most exceptional sources of information and support for people with ALS and caregivers and that we all try very hard to share useful and accurate knowledge. We all have hope for a real cure for this disease. Even if you don't post on this forum please stay with us as we have a lot to offer to you and your brother. And it doesn't cost a cent (we will give our advice for free).

The thing with Eric is that no one knows for sure if he ever really had ALS. All efforts by journalists to find out for sure are met by silence. Don't shoot the messenger. Eric is winning, all the way to the bank.

AL.

Rick, I'm sorry about your brother and hope he is a slow progressor.

There are a couple of things that are proven to slow progression in most PALS: one is Rilutek and the other is keeping the patient from losing weight. There are also medications that can help with some of the more troublesome symptoms, such as cramps, spasms and emotional lability.

One of the things that turned me off from this book ... which describes an unproven method used by one person who probably never had ALS ... is that it recommends cutting out all meds, including Rilutek. To suggest on the basis of no evidence whatsoever that ALS patients stop taking a proven method of slowing ALS is to me almost criminal.

Unfortunately, a family member of mine jumped on this book as soon as I was diagnosed, and INSISTED that I try it. At a moment in time when I was trying to get my emotional bearings and learn as much as possible about ALS and its treatments, I had a real battle on my hands with the woman, whom I love very much. It was absolutely wearing me out trying to argue with her. A few simple searches on the Internet showed that this program was a bunch of bs. I could not stop her pressure and daily e-mails and phone calls insisting that I try this, and implying that anyone who doesn't follow this program is not "a fighter" and must really, really deep down inside want to die a long, lingering, painful death.

Finally, I told her, it's been proven that this is a bunch of bs, but if she insisted, I will order the book. She said, "It has to be true, because it would be just too cruel if it were a scam. How could anyone do that?"

Yeah, it would be cruel, wouldn't it, to scam people who have a progressive, fatal disease, just to make a buck by selling a few books?

Anyway, I at least ended the argument and never ordered the book. I'll stick to proven methods of coping with symptoms and slowing progression. Like everyone with ALS, I hope that a cure or at least other proven treatments are developed soon.

Thanks so much for your reply Glen. I've been asked by one of the moderators on this site NOT to post anything more about this.... This bothers me something terrible and for this reason, will no longer post anything on this site. Apparently, I've come to the wrong place to get help...

You've come to the right place to get the help you'll need. If you had bothered to search this site (or any other reputable ALS forum), you would have found that Eric is well-known to the ALS community and not particularly well regarded. But feel free to ignore the advice you've been given and get fleeced on your way to "winning" with Eric.

Some wise advice I was given along the way -- if there was anything that was proven to work to prolong the lives of ALS patients, all ALS patients would be using it.

I will be going to the rehab centre to find some answers.

Be sure and ask them about Eric.

I plan to take the lead...not to follow the failures and skepticisms of others

Brave talk. Where did you get your medical training? Just so we know how seriously to take your evaluation of the state of the art in ALS treatment.

I really hope that you are reading these posts and reconsider leaving. I too bought this book. I used to be the manager of a vitamin store. If you stay you will learn first hand what real people with ALS have experienced...things that help, things that don't. Nutrition is very important. Real food has been important for my Mother. We all wish there was a "miracle" regimine...truth is, there isn't. I understand how you feel, we all do.
Laura

naturesmessenger
it never hurts to ask a question that is how we learn ,thats why everyone is here , i am gathering infomation befor i ask some questions and i bet i will have many . i just have to learn what i am asking about. it sounds like you love your brother very much and your looking for an answer, like me for my son i still not sure how this site works, but unsure why you were asked not to post about this subject but if you did not ask i would of not know not to read this book when i did hear of it, but maybe they are afraid we might think it is being approved of so please dont be hurt all you wanted to know was did it help anyone here . keep comming back to learn i have noticed some very nice people here. take care

naturesmessenger
it never hurts to ask a question that is how we learn ,thats why everyone is here , i am gathering infomation befor i ask some questions and i bet i will have many . i just have to learn what i am asking about. it sounds like you love your brother very much and your looking for an answer, like me for my son i still not sure how this site works, but unsure why you were asked not to post about this subject but if you did not ask i would of not know not to read this book when i did hear of it, but maybe they are afraid we might think it is being approved of so please dont be hurt all you wanted to know was did it help anyone here . keep comming back to learn i have noticed some very nice people here. take care

To explain what happened:

Several posts were made containing the same content. I tried to explain about Eric. Then I noticed 3 more identical posts in different threads that I deleted and ask for that to stop as there were already several posts with this information.

We have no problem with anyone asking a question, but I don't like our forum being flooded with duplicate posts and a refusal to acknowledge an answer. If this had of been contained in one post we would not be having this discussion.

I, too, hope you stick around, as it helps so much to have the support of informed family members.

I posted a long message about how a dear family member pressured me within days of my being diagnosed to go on the "Eric" program. I could have cut to the chase: the point I was trying to make was not about "Eric" but about how difficult it is when you are first trying to cope with an ALS diagnosed to have someone pressuring you and bugging you constantly to try unproven programs.

It's a common reaction: a loved one gets a diagnosed, and someone close to them decides that all the neurologists and research scientists who have been working on ALS for a century and a half are wrong. Also, all the thousands of PALS who are currently fighting for their lives are clueless, whereas this person will find the cure with a few Google searches.

I'm speaking as a patient with ALS on behalf of your brother: Please give him the time and space to come to grips with his diagnosed, and let him work out a program with his neuro. I'm sure you're very smart, and you want to cure him, but he is the one who must cope with this and make the decisions on his own care. He has only had the diagnosed for two weeks. This is not the time to go gung ho with miracle cures, etc. Take your cues from him.

Rick,

Please dont let our moderators , who actually do a good job , scare you away. You are going to face way more hardships that what they can dish out.

Stick around and you will learn why this has happened about the posts. Its something that should be nipped in the bud every time. There are so many scams , a false promises , and useless things all really designed to take your money. There are so many that come here looking for a diagnosis, who have never been to a doctor.

Its sad , but there is not a cure .... YET.

Don't buy into stem cell therapy either. Yes, there are places , like Xtend in Germany I think , that will drain your bank account for about 20K, a round trip for a week at their facility. 40% chance that you might see some slowing that will last for a week or two. If you have millions , enjoy the trip. Otherwise , you will need those dollars in the future.

You have been shell shocked by this. You need to learn what is coming in the future. I say learn it now , while you are still emotionally in a turmoil , because it just sucks and you need to make plans now.

Its all about positive attitude, and ways to keep the weight and energy up. DO NOT QUIT - ever.

Glen

joelic
i understand now , thought thier would be a reason thank you
and thank you bethu for making me realize i am doing to much research to push on my son
some one said shell shock that is a good way to describe how i feel and the desperation to save my son that follows that
i found i am handeling it better not crying as much and being so desprated for find a cure. the thought of i hope i die first is not there anymore i realized i have to be here to help him thru this and it has only been 2 weks today we found out

all i can say now is thank you all so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back