Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
a special thank you, to all the people who tried to check on me, whilst I have been offline. I was in our home in italy for a month, where we only have limited and really expensive internet. I had several direct emails from folk on the forum, really showed what a caring.....family...we all are.
Unfortunately it was a bit depressing going there in one sense. The last time I was there, sept/oct last year, I could still walk, talk and eat, albeit with some difficulty. This time, my walking went completely, no more eating, drinking or talking..I could speak Italian. It was horriblr sitting at many meals with many friends, all REAL homemade italian food and not be able to eat it and join in the conversation...well only limted conversation with etriloquist, which cannot pronounce italian|||||
However, everyone was really careing and included me in all sorts of things. I even had a band of helpers to get me from my chair and intoand out of the pool, where, with my large rubber ring, I was able to walk. That was a real pleasure

Jennifer, welcome back. We have missed you! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy a holiday, especially one in Italy. I know how awful it is to be with friends and not being able to fully participate because you can't eat or talk but I am glad that you got to see them anyway. I think that we all need to try to remain socially active even if it is difficult and depressing, I know that a lot of the time I would rather just stay home. And then I remind myself that I am not dead yet and I'm going to make sure that everybody knows that. I am jealous about the pool!

Jennifer and Barry please know that even if you can't participate the way you would like too all your family and friends are happy just to have you there.
Colleen:)

Thank you Colleen I think everbody on the forum needs to hear what you just said once in awhile, once again thank you .It gave me a boost.

Jennifer welcome back! It is nice to have you back. I am happy that you enjoyed your time in the Italian swimming pool... Sono contenta che hai visitato il bellissimo paese dei miei genitori e che ti sei deivertita un po. Mi dispiace che no hai puotuto mangiare pero sono sicura che it tuoi amici errano molto contenti della tua compagnia. Anche se il tuo "Etriloquist" non parla bene l'Italiano, mi puoi scrivere qualche parola se vuoi. Ti tengo nei miei pensieri! Con tanto affeto... :)

OK , if anyone knows about the ladies in Montreal , and we get the added bonus that Thelma is Italian also ....

mmmmrrrrooowwwww :twisted:

Welcome back Jennifer.

Ciao Thelma, non ho saputo che lei abbia parlato italiano. Lei è pieno di suprises - il tipo ed i pali premurosi in 2 lingue.
(For the record I dont speak Italian, I had your post translated and then did the reverse. I hope I did not just call you some vile name. LOL!)

Dana that translation is hilarious! The first part works: that you didn't know that I spoke Italian and I'm full of surprises but what the heck is "premurosi" supposed to be? (Actually being from Montreal, I grew up speaking 3 languages, English French and Italian. It's not that uncommon here. My parents only spoke to me in Italian until I went to kindergarten. Now I speak Spanish too. Languages are fun!)

Glen, I'm glad you think being Italian is a bonus. ;)

LOL - I should have done the reverse translation on this free site before posting. When putting what the site said back in, this is what it said..

Hello Thelma, THE did not know that she have spoken Italian. She is full of suprises - the type and the thoughtful horseraces in 2 tongues.​

I don't know what "premurosi" means but I intended to say your posts are thoughtful and nice in 2 languages. :)

I also learned this...
˙noʎ pǝssıɯ ǝʍ ¡¡¡ɹǝɟıuuǝɾ ʞɔɐq ǝɯoɔןǝʍ​

I have been on the computer too long today.

glad your're back !

Hi Jennifer, I am so glad you are back ! I have missed you. Sorry to hear about the not walking, talking ,etc. I know that was really hard for you. I am thinking not being able to talk with our friends is definently hard to get used to. My speech is getting so much worse that I don't try to say the things that come to mind... when I am with my friends either. One on one is much better. Groups I just get lost..... So glad we can chat with each other and we take all the time needed to say everything we want to say.... Hugs, Linda:)

Hello Jennifer,

Please know that I appreciate your sharing about your trip. I'm still getting use to my ALS diagnosis and growing limitations.
I've been struggling with staying open to being with friends (Thanks Glen, an others, for encouraging me to stay connected to friends).

I'm very glad that you were able to travel to your home in Italy.

I've chosen Senegal as my forum name because I had dreamed of visiting Senegal some day. I don't think that I can afford it now. Also, the travel complications with cuff crutch, Bi-PAP and cough assist machines is a bit overwhelming.

Take good care.

Hi Senegal ,I was diagnosed this year also. I hope that you will be able to get there sometime soon.If Rich will take me to Europe i will go with all my Devices...LOL I am wondering if your Bulbar and where did the monster first appear with you? Sometimes when I am writting about this I still think I am talking about someone else... not me! New things seem to be poping up with me each week. Good to have you on this forum... Linda

Hi Jennifer

Good to hear from you and welcome back.

It must be sad to feel how different things are for you since you last went to Italy but I am sure your friends were delighted to see you.

We have a family christening tomorrow and Mark and I are godparents and I know Mark is a little anxious as he will have to speak and his speech is failing rapidly. There is also a party afterwards and as Mark can't eat and drink I know he doesn't feel too much in the party mood.

I do know that his family are exited to be seeing him so hopefully he will be able to enjoy himself.

Again welcome home - I bet you didn't miss the british weather.

Take care
RACHEL

Hi Jennifer,
Welcome back! Cookie

Jennifer,

Glad to have you back from your travels!

The best capuccino I've ever had was in Italy.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back