Not open for further replies.

thelma313

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
I am really worried about my Dad again. This morning he fell going back to his chair from the bathroom. My Mom didn't see it happen and when she heard him fall, ran over only to find him bleeding from the head. I am terribly worried and I am at work trying not to have a meltdown. Luckily I work in a closed office and no one can see me worrying and fidgeting.

My mom says she doesn't think it's too bad because he never lost consciousness but she immediately called 911. Dad is in the hospital now getting stitches. I just pray that there is no head injury. I want to rush over there but again my Mom insists it's best if I stay put for now.

Damn this ALS!

Thelma, so sorry to hear your Dad fell. I am very hopeful it is just a flesh wound. My Dad fell years ago in the bathroom (before ALS reared its ugly freakin' head) after a surgery Dad had. Mom took Dad to the hospital and I cleaned up. What a mess a small scalp flesh wound can make. He was fine with a few stitches and I am very optimistic your Dad will be too.

As far as "staying put" - I am terrible at that so I will fidget with you until you hear more.
Dana

Thanks Dana. I think you are probably right and it is just a flesh wound but I am a bit of a worry wart although I'm trying to think only positive thoughts. The thought of you fidgeting with me is comforting. I hope that doesn't sound selfish... I mean I wish you weren't fidgeting but I do feel supported so thanks!

I'm fidgeting too! Let us know how he is doing.

You are welcome Thelma. I completely understand your worry. Maybe we can get a preview/trailer of the weekend production of the Mad Forum Writer's Little Women to distract us while we fidget?

Thanks Barry!

My Mom said he got stitched up and they took x-rays so we will get the results soon. Again she thinks he is okay. I'm somewhat comforted by that.

Thelma,

Please let us know as soon as you find out about your Dad, I work in a closed office also, so I can help you with the fidgeting. I am sending positive thoughts your way.

Dana(the other Dana)

Thank you Other Dana!

My Mom just called. The hospital is releasing him. The x-rays show that there is no problem and he was checked neurologically as well so the impact did not hurt him except for the cut he sustained on a door frame.

My Dad is very frustrated and finally my Mom has cried. I am happy that she did! She just keeps such a brave face all the time and I literally have to beg her to confide in me and lean on me more. She promised she would from now on.

Thank you, Everyone for the support. This forum is a Godsend.

Happy to hear your Dad checked out OK. Scary incident again for you guys!
Maybe your Dad would be open to setting up safeguards in the bathroom or looking at new ways to handle bathroom functions?
I worry about my Dad in the bathroom. Such a confined space and everything in there is hard as a rock plus sometimes the floor is wet.
I have been showing him some gadgets, etc. He agrees he might need them "someday" just not yet.
Dana

:::waves to other Dana:::

Well the worst part of this whole scenario is he was actually using his walker. He is pretty immobile now but has been able to be pretty independent. His biggest fear is not being able to do his grooming and bathroom activities on his own.

I'll say it again: Damn this ALS!

A person can do everything right but no matter how much we want to we can't stop this disease regardless of the gadgets and whatnot.

I second Damn this ALS!

Glad to hear he's on the mend Thelma. Head injuries often bleed like mad which makes them look worse. Most of us fear having someone else do the "paper work" for us. Tell your dad it's no where near as bad as he thinks as long as you keep your sense of humor.

AL.

Thanks Al! I'll pass that on to him.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back