Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
NC
City
Cape Carteret
Hello All, I don't use forums much. My brother has been diagnosed with ALS around May 2009, but we've been waiting to get a second opinion. Some in my family are not sure the diagnosed was correct. I keep reading where the life expectancy is between 2-5 years, but my brother seems to be going REALLY fast. He's in the hospital now because he seems to have lost the ability to walk just today. So this is why this seems very confusing to me. How likely is it that patients with ALS can go within a few months? BTW-He is also swelling very much in the legs---is that common? ---thnx for you input.

Hi Joshua,
Welcome to the site.
Its sad that you have go through this with your brother.

The time line was just an average. There are people at both ends of the scale. The problem is that you never know where you are , when its your time. Are you fast or slow.

You just take it one day at a time , with a positive attitude.

Swelling , can be pour circulation . I get it from sitting all day . Getting your foot up for a bit helps me.

Use the search pull down above to search the posts.

Glen

While what your brother is experiencing is not the reported norm of 2-5 years, unfortunatly ALS sometimes is very rapidly progressing as you are describing.

Swelling as we were told is not caused by ALS, which technically is true, but ALS causes immobility and dangling limbs which leads to swelling. We were confused for a long time with the swelling in mom's hand because we were repeatedly told ALS doesn't cause swelling. As Glen suggests, its important to keep his legs elevated to prevent the swelling. Light massage of pushing the blood up towards the heart will help too.

May God watch over and bless your family.

Thank you both for responding. I really appreciate it. Since I've been learning about ALS and it's community of support, I've seen so many people like yourselves who display such positive attitudes. Really inspiring to all. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back