Diagnosis
3/2009
Country
US
State
IL
City
Effingham
I have been reading everyone's post for sometime now.Thank you so much for sharing.
My problem began ,so that I new for sure something was a matter was Mar. 2007 .I had a tree service an did my own climbing an repelling removing limbs an trees. Any way I noticed I could not raise my right leg has high as I could ,at first I put it off as getting older ,I was 54 , I then begin tripping once in awhile dragging limbs to the chipper, then my legs an feet started hurting after using them for a while, then i started having severe calf cramps a night. Then foot drop right foot.
I am stubborn are stupid ,anyway I never went to see a Dr. until Oct.2007,.The nightmare gets worse first prednisone, then mri of the back, then epidural , then I was sent to a orthopedic Dr. he x ray-ed clinical exam ,said i had some compression on my l4 &5 ,but didn't feel that was the problem. He sent me to a nero, whom after emg ncv probtley diagnosed me with cidp, then i was sent sent to another nero closer to my area.He ran many test mri s blood, urine, spinel tap,the works.In the mean time he has me on 60 mg. of prednisone a day, it doesnt work at all, they start me on ivig. march 2008 i am on that routine for until DEC. 2008 no benefit ( I forgot to tell you fell trying to transfer my son whom has cp to bed an broke my hip May 23 ) Feb 2009 my nero sends me back to the same nero who gave me the first emg ncv ,he looks a me does some clinical test . Comes back with a script to go see the head of the als / mda division at Washington U. In St.Louis. March 2009 more test emg /ncv blood work you guys know the routine.
They seems to think it could be multi focal neuropathy,has me get a sural nerve biopsy, then he calls me with news that it doesn't show any inflammation. So no treatment ,only observation, I went back Jun.4 2009 another emg /ncv (about the same). Now I am going back in Oct. he called me an told me to call if I showed any improvement are worsening, he wants to see me sooner.
I can not walk, I have much atrophy in my legs, foot drop both feet, much more strength in my left leg then my right, pain in my lower back. But my upper strength is very good.
The Dr. said he was ready to call it mnd ,but was not ready to call it als. They also gave me script to get a power chair.
So that is my story. My son set up this account for me hence the name. Thank You for looking. I know it will be hard for you to read. I am no scholar.
Opinions are welcome!

Glad your son set you up on this website, I know you will get lots of support from the wonderful and knowlegable people who post here.Some people are scholars,some are big hearted ,some are jokers,all kinds, it is great. Welcome and good luck

Hello Bestdad,

I am moved by your story and hope you continue to visit and post here. I love that your son gave you that absolutely fabulous user name.

Lydia

Bestdad,

Welcome. You will find lots of support. How old is your son?

Blessings!

Pam

Hi Best Dad, I feel terrible for all that you have been through.... As far as me being diagnosed. It took a couple of test and they said you have Als... Not ever knowing anyone with this. I very neivly said." Well. I m sure glad it wasn't a stroke? "The Dr. just looked at me with a very strange look on jis face.. I then said" We, I can live with this twitching around my mouth and a little droopy and a few slirred words. Just give me the meds to stop it were it is . I can surely handle this? LOL It is kinda funny now, but the words that followed by the Dr. afterwards did not sit very well at all. It is although very GOOD to have people to talk to that truley understand.... Welcome friend , Linda

Hi best dad in the world.I love that. Your story sounds so much like my husbands except he is still able to walk with a cane.W e just saw his neuro & he say's mnd ,but no diagnosed of which one, he wanted him to try Mestinon ,he did for 2 doses & it caused him to have a hard time breathing. So that is the end of that.We don't go back until Dec unless things change.Just a waiting game ,Thank God his is slow progression.His neuro is a graduate of Washington University in St Louis.God Bless & give your son a big hug.
Sharon

Thanks you all for the caring comments.I will keep you posted. I also will be reading other members post,an hoping for the best for all. Ps my son is 22.

Hi Best Dad,

Did your foot drop ever improve in either foot at anytime during your onset? Anybody else with Foot drop experience any improvement at all then still get the diagnosis?

Gregdickerson

I have no improvement in my foot drop so far. Still hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back