Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
DK
State
CPH
City
CPH
Here in Denmark some interesting research results have been published this month.

A researchteam from Sweden/Canada (if I remember correctly) have managed to create
stam cell from human skin (old news i believe) but the team was also able to make stem cells which was able to create new nervecells to replace the damaged ones.
ALS was mentioned to be one of the deceases that could benefit from the new discovery.

Does anyone know something more about the promising news?

That would be wonderful news if true,and how far away from being put to use is it?

In my opinion it is "only" a matter of ethical questions. So far I could understand previous stam cell results could have negative side effects
such as uncontrollable cell developments (cancer) but now they have solved this problem. The new discovery would be used as an unlimited ressource to create simulations of ALS to further reserch-but if its possible to create new born nerve-stem cells then why not give ALS-diagnosed the opportunity-it´s a personal choice and patients have to accept the riscs-but maybe you could say there is a lot more to win than to lose. Let´s give it a chance. I have a strong feeling that a cure is nearer than we think-if we dare to take the chance.

I did hear from a friend of mine in England that her sister-in-law who was diagnosed Als, heard of a cure in Switzerland paid 20,000 pounds (aprox $40,000 dollarsCa) 6 weeks after she had the treatments it was on the news in Britian that this was a hoax, this lady passed away in the spring this year.I hope with all my heart that there is a cure or help around the corner but lets be aware of those who only want to make a dollar at anybodys exspense. Als is a monster but there are human monsters also.

I've been trying to get that message across for years now and been called everything from skeptic to hope killer. I appreciate it when someone else shares a story of a loved one being screwed by these pieces of human trash. I feel bad for the victims but forewarned is forearmed.

AL.

I agree that there are some bad people in the business- but I think they are in minority. Treatments should be free of costs for the patients in my opinion-they have enough problems to be concerned of already. But I think it´s time to give the opportunity for ALS-patients to try the results from the newest research and money shold of course not be a problem for them. I have a feeling that the decease is a little more common than the statistics says and that there will be offered a lot more money and other ressources in near future. So far as I know only one patient in Denmark have tried a treatment (in Thailand, before the newest research was ready) and her situation has stabilized since the treatment last year. But it would be nice if we could follow the the search/treatment results in general in hope that all experts share their knowledge without thinking in economical terms.

what you suggest would be very nice.

Unfortunately, you have to weed out all of the opportunists looking to take your money, and the pharma companies looking to make a big profit.

Glen

Yes-we cannot be naive to believe that money is unimportant in this matter. But I think it´s okay if there is a big profit to gain for pharmacompanies and researchers as long as it´s for the good of finding a cure. It shold be a government matter to supply the
needed money to the right researchers/companies if thats what is takes to cure ALS.

There's no stem cells curently on the market that work but that could change in a few years. At some point, though, the FDA has to get off their behinds and allow the clinical trials to move forward with the newer and more sophisticated stem cell technology to see if it works or not.

Agree-and I think acting should be as quickly as possible so the ALS-patients of today are given a chance to try the technology and not have to wait 5-10 years until all possible sideeffects are solved. I think many patients think they have more to win than to lose taking this chance. But let´s try to make some pressure to the relevant decisition-makers in this matter and make ALS a lot more visible in public media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back