Not open for further replies.

thelma313

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
My father was rushed to the hospital this afternoon. My mom just called to tell me about it. He was complaining of chest pains and she called 911. This is not the first time this has happened. He has been given and Electrocardiogram which came back normal and his blood pressure is normal. The doctor thinks it might be gas or a digestive problem. Does anyone else know anything about this or had any experience with chest pains and ALS? My mom seems to think it might be an anxiety attack. I am worried.

Thelma, I am so sorry to hear about the crisis with your dad. I can't comment about heart issues and ALS but I have had experience with friends and family who have made frantic visits to emergency rooms with what appears to be heart attack symptoms to have it turn out to be indigestion/gas (thank goodness) and will cross my fingers that is what is happening with your dad.

Lydia

Thanks Lydia. I think that's what it might be... it's just that my dad had an angiogram a few years ago and had some stents put in his arteries. It's kind of scary but my mom just called with nothing new to report so I guess no news is good news. Of course my car happened to break down today and I am looking for a way to get to the hospital even though my mom insists that I don't have to be there since he is so stable and nothing seems to be happening.

Thelma,
How scary. I am hoping it is something as benign as gas. How frustrating that your are having car problems today of all days. In the articles and such I have read about ALS, I don't remember any cardiac issues associated directly with ALS. I imagine you are worried. I hope your Mom can call soon with good news. I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Please keep us posted if you will.
Dana

Thelma, has your dad had any anxiety attacks before? I really hope that it is only that or gas/indigestion. I have experienced a little bit of nausea and gas from the formula because it is so rich so maybe that is what your dad's problem is. I haven't heard of any relationship between heart problems and ALS so I can't help you there. Please tell him that I am thinking of him and sending "get well soon" thoughts his way. And I'm not ready to give up the gain weight race yet so he can't quit yet either!

The frustration you must be feeling with your car must be driving you out of your mind. I had such a similar experience a while ago and remember it all too well! I suck at reassuring words, the best I can offer is to just ride it out Thelma, it looks like it might be something that is not a heart issue, and hopefully all the rest pales in comparison. Update frequently, I know many will be waiting to see how he is doing--

Lydia

Thank you so much for the feedback, Barry, Lydia and Dana. My dad has had anxiety attacks before or that's what they were chalked up as in previous "episodes." It's just odd because he is handling everything so well. He's so positive and such a fighter. He's been learning the computer and competing in on-line Sudoku games. He is such a champ! I find it hard to believe that he has anxiety attacks. Maybe it is gas?

I do want to tear my hair out with my damn car. Of all days for it to break down! I got a boost and it was fine but when I went back to drive to the hospital it was dead again. UGH!

If he has to stay there overnight I am thinking I will try to find a way to get to the hospital. Of course my parents are way out in the burbs!

Thelma, didn't you say not too long ago that your dad helped you put a new battery in your car? If so, and it's not my memory going, I would get it checked out, maybe the alternator is not charging or there is a short somewhere in the electrical system that is killing the battery. I hope that you get is figured out anyway, being carless is not good, especially with all you have going on.

Oh, Honey- I am so sorry you are going thru this. Take a deep breath, and slowly exhale.
OK, know that because of his past cardiac history, they probably did an EKG to check for any further problems. This would show up on the EKG & your mom didn't report this, so there is probably nothing acute going on!

It is possible it is acid reflux; that can have symptoms that can mimic a heart attack. Just know that he is in the right place to help him; I know you want to be there. Can you call a friend to give you a ride to the hospital? Or maybe, check with your Mom; maybe things are under control and they need to have this time together. Only you can judge by the sound of her voice if she needs you there !

If it is an anxiety attach, he might be better off with just your mom there. Keep things calm; if he sees the stress in your face, that could increase his anxiety!

Keep calm; stay rational. Repeat after me- everything is going to be alright!
When you say it enough; you will believe it!

Barry, yes you are right. My dad and I changed the battery about a month or so ago. In retrospect I don't think that the battery was ever the problem because I have had to bring it in to the mechanic twice since then. This is the first time it has been this bad. I suspect that the cable connecting the battery to the engine is the problem. The connection looks very rusty and I don't think contact is being made to charge the battery. My car is a 2001 Beetle and the cables are known for being capricious when it comes to electronics so it could very well be a short too. Damn car!

Mare, as always you are a sweetheart. Thank you so much for your kind words. My mom just called and said that they are now going to x-ray his lungs and they want to keep him overnight to run even more tests. My dad is already telling my mom to go home and get some rest. My mom didn't think it was a good idea for me to rush over there because like you said, wise Mare, she thinks it will rile him up and increase his anxiety. I feel a little better now since all of the tests have so far turned up nothing and I am hoping it is a combination of gas from the formula like Barry said and anxiety.

I don't know what I would do without you all! Thank you. :)

OK ... laugh at this if you want. With this disease , dignity is the first to leave you.

Thelma, has your dad been constipated ?

I ask this , because its a medical fact that I was full of shit ! Yes , they have the xrays. I was backed up so bad that I had pains in my chest. I ended up in ER , getting xrays etc.

Only a smart ASS would ask this .

Glen

Thelma,
I'm sorry to hear that you and your family are going through all of this. Another problem that mimics heart attacks are gallbladder attacks. I work for a hospital and we see a lot of patients with this and from what I'm told it feels like a heart attack. Hopefully he will be home in no time. Hang in there.

Take care.
Pam B in Va

Glen-

OK, I can't pass this one up!

It takes a big man to admit he is full of s***; especially when everybody already knows it! LOL

I mean that in the nicest way! Honest!

thelma... so so sorry to hear of your dad's spell in hospital. i'm wishing him a speedy recovery!

Thanks Everyone! Glen, I have to say I don't know if my dad is constipated. I guess he didn't feel the need to share that with me during our visit yesterday but thanks for the suggestion... it may be funny but it's actually a viable suggestion and I will communicate that to my mom next time she calls.

Pam B, thank you for your inside knowledge. It always helps!

Rocmg, it's nice to hear from you. Please give my regards to your mum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back