How do you feel about the use of Bionics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daenery

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Hello, my name is Dae. My father was diagnosed with ALS in 2006. I'm currently a student at New York University doing a research paper on ALS and Bionics.

I was wondering how ALS patients feel about giving themselves over to machines in order to gain some independence, and what people are using that they have found works well.

Responses don't have to be positive, if there is anyone out there that has reasons not to use bionics, I would love to hear about that too!

Thank you for your time!
Dae

I would love to use them. Any thing that helps me walks and gain more independence, I am willing to try it. I wonder why can't we have implants which can simulate muscles on the faintest of nerve activity. But then I am not an expert on it, so can't answer it.

We have a friend on the forum who has had an pacemaker implant for his diaphragm to help him breath. The surgery is experimental and last I heard from him it was helping.
Sure, go for it . Anything that will help. Usually the biggest obstacle is cost since most of us are on a fixed income.

Wow thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

As for the implants or such like, Dr. Miguel Nicolelis from Duke University has some stunning research on using brain waves or thoughts to move robotic arms. His test subject was a monkey, but he has done other research with monkeys that have moved robots with brainwaves. Plus there are others, and I can't remember her name at the moment who also has a "brain cap" that she is using in her research to make things move with just thoughts as well.

Very interesting stuff!

Dae

I would use them in a heart beat! Anything that would help us I am open for. But, as has already been said, cost is a major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back