Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
raleigh
Hey everyone, i had a question about pals and computers... I know that their is alot of high tec computer things these days including the eye gaze computer , but how do pals that cant move their hands type? Is that all done with the eye gaze to? I just thought that was for moving the mouse? Can someone give me some info? Thanks.

Ashley

Totally depends on you situation:

1. If you have no movement below neck: then consider using a voice recognition software + head mouse.
2. If only hands work, then use them
3. There is a foot mouse as well if your legs work. But I have no experience with them.
4. If nothing works, then eye gaze is the answer.

I hope I can get something for people who cannot use their hands and arms.

Posting that one sentence was very difficult and took minutes.

I use a headmouse and a program called Dasher (free) . It works well if you still have some head movement.

There are a wide variety of technologies available to provide computer accessibility for disabled individuals. If you find that you need these types of devices, your neurologist should be able to refer you to an occupational therapist for the appropriate consultation.

I still have some use of one of my hands, so I use the same software that Joel uses -- Dasher, with a trackball. I also occasionally use the Click-N-Type onscreen keyboard. When I get to the point that I can no longer click the buttons on the trackball, I'll probably start with dwell-clicking software, such as Point-N-Click. I also plan to look into foot operated mice/trackballs and switches, along with various forms of headmouse and neuroswitches.

Lots of options out there, and some of them are free. You just need to know how to get Google to find them for you.

hands free computer control

There are some options how you can control your computer with head movements only

Hope you'll find somthing that suites your needs

Julius

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back