Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Myers
I was just wondering if any of the PALS get massages? I have a friend who is a massage therapist and she has offered to give my husband a massage. Believe it or not, he has never had a professional massage. I'm just wondering if it would be good idea for him to get one?. I don't want it to hurt him in any way. What do ya'll think? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Hi,Judi-

Absolutely- tell him to go for it! My husband has been getting massages for years. I had to first talk him into it, but once he did, he was sold.

He has a bed knee from an old injury; I encouraged him to incorporate strength training into his workouts (he has been swimming for over 20 yrs.), and the massages helped with keeping things loose- especially as we age!

He has had to stop the weights/strength training; but continues the swimming. But, I thought it important to continue massage, as she does some gentle passive stretching as well.
Just don't have her do deep-tissue massage, although if he has never had it before, she would start fairly light at first, and build up the pressure to his needs.

My husband really feels a benefit from this- both the relaxing of the muscles & the mind.
When he could no longer go to the spa, old building- big staircase- no elevator, his therapist offered to come to the house! This is even better- no driving to & from. He just stays in his robe the rest of the evening and relaxes!

Tell Eric to do it! It helps with those tight & sore muscles; will help to keep his ROM
(range of motion) and with regular massage, the overall effect of relaxation is terrific!

I agree with Mare. My feet get swollen and only way to make them normal is a massage. And it does help a lot. After massage my feet feel light and less stiff. Go for it.

I'm all for him getting the massage but as Mare suggested, stay away from deep tissue work, at least at first. It may also be helpful to find a therapist that is trained in reflexology therapy.

Outside of that, bubble baths are nice (I don't know this from personal experience, of course...)

PZ

Definitely go for it.
The only caveat I can think of, and its not bad, is that he may be sore in the morning .

Glen-

I think soreness would be if it was deep tissue. But, also be sure to drink lots of water after a massage. That's to flush out any lactic acid that might be released thru massage itself.

I had some bruising afterwards so tell them to go easy. It's a fine balance between hurt and help.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back