Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Ravenswood
When ALS starts affecting the neck muscles, can anyone tell me how it feels? My husband (diagnosed in June 2006) has been complaining about his neck feeling "heavy" or like it has a kink in it. When riding his bike, he has to stop several times to massage it or give it a rest. I think it's because of his ALS - he thinks maybe it's like a pulled muscle. Just wondering....I know for the past few months he has been getting cramps in his neck if he turns a certain way. Just concerned. Thanks! LOL
Patty Jo:|

For me the neck involvement showed up real early and what happened is, I was working in the garden bending over and I just couldn't lift my head up. Then I started to have trouble turning my head to the left. After some years now of slow progression my head feels like a bobble head. I have to walk slowly as the bobbling of my head puts me off balance. If it's his head that feels heavy, well then yes maybe that's what it is. I never felt like there was a kink in my neck, more a lot of muscle strain from the effort the remaining muscles were having to do. Don't know if that's much help.
Dan

PattyJo-

My husband's neck hurts and it's from the loss of muscle. His head falls forward a lot, like Dan mentioned (bobble head).

What helps a bit is using a sports tape called Kinesio. You can google it. They have instructions for taping the neck, but it would probably be good to get a PT involved. We intend to ask the PT about the taping method at the next clinic apppmt.

My hubby's neck is weak, the neuro said he had the als hump in his shoulders that indicated his neck was getting weaker and pulling down on his other muscles. He was wearing a soft collar but it doesn't give him enough support he is now wearing a headmaster, open neck brace and he says it helps him so much. The headaches disappear when I put the neck brace on him.

All of these response were helpful. The taping of the neck sounds like something he might do. Thanks!:neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back