Diagnosis
04/2009
Country
US
State
mi
City
commerce
I have been lurking for almost two months since my father was diagnosed with ALS.

I had a breakdown over it and I am now on anxiety medicine and I am slowly accepting it.

His started with his legs. He has progressed rapidly with his hands, arms and just this week he said he was having trouble swallowing:sad:

I was wondering what I can do to help him cope with this? Fathers day is coming up and I want to get him something to make him feel better. Would a massage be a good gift?

I am going to start visiting more regularly, what can I do during those visits to make him feel better?

Thank you

I think having a good support system in place is the most important thing to cope with this disease. Perhaps, you could get together with other friends or relatives to set up a schedule to help care for your dad. Also, you could check out als support groups in your area which I have found to be quite helpful.

I give my husband regular massages which helps.

It also helps to just take one day at a time and focus on the things you can still enjoy.
Take care and know that this forum is also a wonderful support. Bev

Sorry about your dad!

For father's day, if he doesn't have a smoothie maker or Magic Bullet already - they are great to make things that are easier to swallow. And the massage would be great!

Just letting him know you care and that you will really be there for him will help.

Does he have a hobby that he can still participate in?

Do anything and everything you can while he is able to do things. Make good memories. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Thank you for your replies. The smoothie maker is a good idea.

Does he have a hobby that he can still participate in?

He is having a hard time lifting his arms. My mom is feeding him now, so I am not sure what he could do. He is also very tired all the time.

Nice to meet you, but not so nice in these circumstances.

You might want to get him a sleep test to see if he needs a cpap or bipap machine to help him overnights. If he is continually tired, it may mean he needs better quality of deep sleep, which would be determined by the test. It is an easy cure, and part of most of our lives with ALS. It's just a simple machine for sleep apnea.

We are in all different stages and making the most of our lives..... living life to the fullest each day. God bless.

Thanks, pocuita, for starting this thread, and thanks to jimercat for the suggestion of a smoothie maker. Great suggestion!

I'm off on a shopping mission tomorrow...!

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back