Diagnosis
03/2006
Country
uk
State
West Sussex
City
sussex
Ok guys and gals, need your help with communicating please. No not me, Dad.
He is on a hell of a lot of drugs since last thursday which was supposed to be the final dose before he slipped away a few days later. Haha, wrong, they obviously don't know dad. Picture the scene, we are all in the bedroom pouring our heart and soul out to each other , floods of tears thinking this was it and being told to say what you need to say etc. The nurses leave us in peace with the parting comment " he will just be very peacefull now and sleepy, he will slip away quietly when he's ready " Ok still with me, ..two hours later he opens his eyes wide open :shock: and speaks for the first time in days ! So what does he say, 'pain', 'thirsty''hot' 'cold' .. nope.... " ice cream " well you could have knocked us for six ! Ice cream I ask you :rolleyes: ! obligingly we gave it to him and he gulped it down and went back to sleep leaving us wondering if they had given the drugs to the wrong relative Lol ! :lol:
Anyway fun over, the dosage issue is a disaster. They don't really know what they're doing and dad is getting very aggitated all the time and in pain. But (APART FROM SAID ICE CREAM ) he has not eaten in 3 weeks and barely drinks so combined with the drugs his voice is almost none existent. Which causes more frustration. Someone suggested a ABC board but i don't think this is going to work hes not conscious long enough for us to go through loads of words and i dont know if he could even focus on them.
ANY SUGGESTIONS !

What an experience! See, he's still making memories for you guys. It does sound like a letter board might be too much for him to deal with. I don't know if the company is still around, but remember "Magnetic Poetry" ? .... word magnets, people composed poetry, or had ongoing thoughts written/rearranged on their refrigerator doors. I remember the local book store had them. It would be a start, and could be used on a little magnetic slate ~ or just making up flashcards with words, phrases, or pictures of things on them.

I'm sorry your dad is suffering so much.

Ok guys and gals, need your help with communicating please. No not me, Dad.
He is on a hell of a lot of drugs since last thursday which was supposed to be the final dose before he slipped away a few days later. Haha, wrong, they obviously don't know dad. Picture the scene, we are all in the bedroom pouring our heart and soul out to each other , floods of tears thinking this was it and being told to say what you need to say etc. The nurses leave us in peace with the parting comment " he will just be very peacefull now and sleepy, he will slip away quietly when he's ready " Ok still with me, ..two hours later he opens his eyes wide open :shock: and speaks for the first time in days ! So what does he say, 'pain', 'thirsty''hot' 'cold' .. nope.... " ice cream " well you could have knocked us for six ! Ice cream I ask you :rolleyes: ! obligingly we gave it to him and he gulped it down and went back to sleep leaving us wondering if they had given the drugs to the wrong relative Lol ! :lol:
Anyway fun over, the dosage issue is a disaster. They don't really know what they're doing and dad is getting very aggitated all the time and in pain. But (APART FROM SAID ICE CREAM ) he has not eaten in 3 weeks and barely drinks so combined with the drugs his voice is almost none existent. Which causes more frustration. Someone suggested a ABC board but i don't think this is going to work hes not conscious long enough for us to go through loads of words and i dont know if he could even focus on them.
ANY SUGGESTIONS !

I hope you get some good answers because I am in about the same spot you are.

Maybe being there as you can be in peace. It sounds like themost important thing is that he is as comfortable as possible in his journey that will end when the time is right for him.

I know these are meant for children, but you may find some that you can use with your dad. They are flash cards that have pictures that you can print from the site. I found them when looking for something to use with my husband. You could enlarge the appropriate ones and put them on a cork board maybe? Or print them on banner paper and roll it up and unroll and stop if he can point or nod? I don't know...

So sorry y'all are experiencing this! I wish I had some better advice!

http://www.dotolearn.com/picturecards/printcards/activities_everyday.htm

If the site isn't approved it is: do to learn dot com slash picture cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back